PDA

View Full Version : South African CPL - Aptrc

cfipo
22nd May 2003, 19:22
Hi there, I'm looking to do my PPL, CPL, IR and Multi Engine at Aptrac in Port Elizabeth. Anyone been there to tell me what it's like?

Thanks

Irishwingz
24th May 2003, 05:39
Dude

I cannot recall many comments at all about Aptrac and I've been surfin for a year now on schools in SA. I am in fact going to PE in October to do my PPL in PE at Algoa. Another good school in the area is Progress. But I've made my mind up on Algoa.

Do a search/ask a q on African Aviation and it should give you something;)

NickGreen
24th May 2003, 16:23
I too trained at Algoa, which is right next to Aptrac at Port Elizabeth International Airport.

While I was training I met up with one other student who was doing the PPL at Aptrac and we swapped stories. I left feeling relieved I was with Algoa. The two outfits are worlds apart - in terms of organisation and friendliness. I also heard stories about their aircraft... Traumahawks.

If you're after a cadet style education then its probably fine. But then go for Progress or 43 in Port Alfred.

Algoa offer a club atmosphere with all the social benefits as well as a training base with friendly instructors, PPL through to the full ATPL. They also host most of the written exams and Radio lectures so you'll end up going there if you go through the other locals.

Have a look at
www.flying.org.za
www.algoafc.co.za

sturg3
27th May 2003, 06:00
Good job that you are doing your homework.

Have just come back from Algoa Flying Club doing completed PPL.

Whatever effort you put in the staff will put back three fold.

If you are comparing Aptrak or Algoa FC, think on this: Algoa are a non profit orginisation who pride themselves on a flawless history of airmanship, Aptrak on the other hand will resort to any back handed business tactic to try and get students, including prompting their students to write bogus articles in the local paper.

While at Algoa FC I was reminded time again that I made the right choice.

cfipo
30th May 2003, 16:26
Thanks for the info on Algoa - I've contacted them to get some info. Meanwhile has anyone heard of http://www.learn-to-fly.co.za in Durban. They have also been helpful but again I have no one to tell me whether they're cowboys or not.

Anyone, class?

Tiger Bob
1st Jun 2003, 00:17
http://www.learn-to-fly.co.za/ is an agent for flying schools. I would not use them - cut out the middle man and go direct, it will save your hard earned cash

Chase
17th Jan 2005, 09:46
if only you guys knew what it was like to train at aptrac you wouldnt be saying what you are saying.

there is nothing wrong with there aircraft and the training is brilliant.

and for your information aptrac doesnt ave a paper of there own, you sucking this out of your ass and you makig up stories without facts. get a life bru.

ALGOA IS A DRINKING SCHOOL WITH A FLYING PROBLEM!!!

sturg3
17th Jan 2005, 11:10
Chase, you cock sack! exactly what are you refering to when you say sucking out of your arse? This may be a custom of yours as clearly it is you who are talking out yours. It is not a habit of mine to write articles based on something I have sucked out my arse.
Here is what you can do:
Look back in the Herald article history, actualy read the said article, then go to Algoa FC and check their records to clarify. Then come back here and kiss my arse.

I hope we meet up in PE sometime.

Please explain how or on what basis you made the comment Algoa is a drinking school with a flying problem.
Would you forward any instance of bad airmanship by Algoa, alchohol related or not.
I believe this comment to be slanderous and without substance. So we will check the facts that you call for.
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

birdlady
17th Jan 2005, 13:31
Ive heard nothing but good reports about Algoa. Thats a good thing obviously. But, huge but here if you dont have South African residency it can be a bit tricky to get a work permit. Having said that, I dont have a work permit and am just about to embark on my SA CPL. I dont really have a choice as I cant afford the expense of training in Europe and am not willing to give up my flying. Cfpio if you have the cash do your CPL/multi IR in the uk but by all means do your PPL and Hour building in SA. There are places out there that are not too pushed about work permits but if you get caught you can be in serious sh!te. I've been living here for 7 years, my parents are here so will be able to get permanent residency but nothings guaranteed. I dont have a choice but to take the risk. If worse comes to worse I can always convert to JAA, will cost me the same in the end.

Ciao for now
BL:ok: :ok:

Chase
18th Jan 2005, 05:15
i apologise for my comments towards Algoa. they are a good flying school. i was going to go there myself.

but don't attack the opposition the way you did. the only reason i attacked algoa the way i did is because you attacked aptrac first.

i dont mind if one comments on another flying school, but don't make it sound as if it's the worst place on earth. you here only the bad stories which every organisation wil have. be careful with your words

i was just making a point when i said what i said about algoa.

so once again a oppologise for my comments, algoa is a great flying and as the opposition i'm not afraid to admit it.

i'll be changing my nickname to aviator if you want to chat to me again in the future. i change my nickanem farely often.

sturg3
18th Jan 2005, 14:17
Thank you for your apology Chase, it is graciously accepted.

Just a note for the record, my comment came after an initial scathing attack in the Herald newspaper by an Aptrak student. Please check it out, it is very interesting and will give you an insight to were I am coming from.
I am careful with my words, I commented only after checking out the facts and figures.

I am happy to let this be now, at the end of the day we all just care about flying and hopefully leave the politics out of the PPL scene.
Kind regards

crazy medic
18th Jan 2005, 15:32
As a member of the AFC for 11 years now I can say it is a might fine club, it has its share of internal politics which should hopefully be sorted out this year.

As Sturg says the instructors there are great and will go the x-tra mile for u for sure.

Yes there is a pub and sometimes there is mighty fine drinking taking place......is that a problem me thinks not....u have to have the "bar" conversion sometime

I would suggest do up to CPL single IF with AFC then got to Sheltam for Twin IF which is next door to AFC they have very nice AC including a KingAIr 200 ZS-PUF real neat.

Tiger Bob
19th Jan 2005, 05:18
Why go to Sheltam when the aircraft and instructors used by AFC and Sheltam are the same?

Chase
19th Jan 2005, 05:56
i will take a look at that article that you are talking about.

:O i'll be seeing you guys in the sky.

kind regards

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jan 2005, 20:12
Not sure if Aptrac teaches airmanship or not. I've been parked in by Aptrac aircraft taking the easy slot when plenty of others have been available. Speaking to the pilot and his cronies just got me a load of lip.

Chase
27th Jan 2005, 08:13
i would still like to know why so any people attack Aptrac on this site. there is nothing wrong with there airmanship or anything else.

i would recommend aptrac to anyone.

wheels up
29th Jan 2005, 23:42
Could it be that advertisement in SA Flyer with the guy in the shades that does it? Topgun is so eighties..

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2005, 21:03
Chase

The airmanship I have been witness to was appalling. Airmanship is something that should be taught by the school. That doesn't seem to be the case in this instance...

raytheon_aircraft
12th Aug 2005, 07:31
if anyone out there needs any information on the Airline Pilot Training Centre in south africa port elizabeth, just ask me.

:ok: :ok: