PDA

View Full Version : UK Distance Learning

swood
21st May 2003, 21:18
Hi Guy's

I'm currently looking for a decent school that provides Distance Learning.

So far, I have found BCFT (Bournemouth) to be one of the good ones, but I have noticed a lot of PPrune members are raving about a school in Bristol.

Any suggestions

Regards

FlyingForFun
21st May 2003, 21:30
Hi swood,

Get the complete list off the CAA's website (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf). You'll find there's not all that many of them - certainly few enough that you can contact all of them. Write to them to ask for details of their course, a sample of their notes, hwo their brush-up works, what support they can provide if you need extra help, anything else you think is relevant. Then make your decision based on whatever you think is most important. No single school is right for everyone - just because many of those who went to Bristol, me included, thought it was superb, doesn't necessarilly mean it will be for you too, although I'd be surprised if it didn't come out near the top of your list.

FFF
----------------

Chuffer Chadley
21st May 2003, 23:49
Swood

I don't know too much about BCFT, but there are an awful lot of positive comments about BGS- they do seem to get results. I think the best advice is to go and visit groundschools if you can- see if the instructors seem agreeable, what the place smells like etc.

For the record, I've just passed mod 1 with GTS in Bournemouth, and have been very pleased with the training there. They're cheap, too.

Good luck.

CC

Send Clowns
22nd May 2003, 01:04
Even though I work for BCFT (and would teach you Nav and Flight Planning if you come to us) I would agree with FFF. Contact them all, and try to assess them. I would say there are only really 3 I would consider if I had to do it all again. Shall not say which to avoid offense to the others, but 2 should be obvious.

Good luck, may see you in the near future!

swood
22nd May 2003, 21:32
Hi FFF, CC, SC

Thanks for your comments, I will take a further look at CAA Website.

Congratulations CC for passing Mod 1, let me know how you get on with the others, Good luck.

SC, I must admitt, it is going to be hard to find a school like yours and yet close enough for me to pop down there when I have a problem. Like FFF said, it would be nice to get some samples of the course notes, just to compare with the likes of the bogg standard Jeppessen/Oxford Aviation Notes purchased from Transair (No disrespect to any companies mentioned). Air Law for example.

Thanks once again guys, the search goes on....

Regards

swood

Hufty
22nd May 2003, 23:13
Hi swood - I used Oxford for distance learning and found them to be excellent. Passed all first time with an 89% average. I did have to work hard but they really knew their stuff and the feedback was very simillar to the exams.

Only downside was their admin - I missed some updates and didn't get all my phase 2 stuff at the same time, but I can forgive them! As long as you're proactive in making sure you've got what you need, you'll be fine. If you want any additional info, just PM me.

swood
24th May 2003, 02:35
Thanks Hufty,

I'll have a look. Congratulations on your exams.

Can anyone out there give me any info on Bristol Ground School (www.bristol.gs).

Regards

swood

Delta Wun-Wun
24th May 2003, 03:05
I sat my exams with Bristol G/S. I found that their notes were excellent, clear and easy to read. Progress tests were returned by e-mail within 24 hrs, often the same day. I found that Alex and the team were very helpful on the phone as well....and very patient....must be to get a thickie like me through.
There aren`t that many schools that do Distance Learning. It`s worth taking the time to go and visit and see for yourself.:O

FlyingForFun
24th May 2003, 19:42
Agree with everything D11 says about Bristol. Passed all my exams with them first time, with over 90% average, thanks to easy-to-follow notes and good progress tests. The admin is just as good as the tuition. What D11 forgets to say is that the brush-up is superb - in two weeks you go from not being able to remember anything to be confident that you'll pass at least some, if not all, the exams.

Also agree with D11 that you should visit them and any other school you're considering.

FFF
-----------

letsrock2019
1st Jun 2003, 22:23
I am not in the UK. I can recommend Bristol.
Jacqueline and Anouska are wonderful. they have always helped me until now.
the course is good. 7 heavy binders and a CD rom for the animations.I study everyday 30 minutes to 3 hours(sometimes 5).
I have checked other school too. Bristol is one of the best, price is correct, customer service: EXCELLENT, feed back and brush up course: I do not know, I am still studing at home.
Bristol is TOP1 on my list!