PDA

View Full Version : FAA in Florida

chipm
21st May 2003, 19:08
Hi All,

Was hoping some of you might be able to offer experience/advice on the below:

I'm thinking about going to Florida to get my FAA license (already have JAA & ATPL in UK). Has anyone already been to do this? Any suggestions on best schools in Florida? It seems like a lot of the big ones are located in Daytona Beach & Ft. Lauderdale (with a couple in Orlando). Ideally, I'd like to go where there's some international presence for comraderie and contacts! :)

Cheers,
chipm

BritishGuy
22nd May 2003, 01:11
Try a flightschool called www.flycda.com they're a good bunch. I did my FAA Comm/Multi/Inst with them. A good school and all their instructors are all Embry Riddle University guys who know their stuff. Embry and Phoenix East are based at Daytona Beach Intl. but found that they were full of the yanks (and hey, before you start I only say that as you're looking for a little comradship). But hey, all the guys there seem to be a good bunch and the owner Dave Alber (he's the one you chat to for the prices-he usually does a good deal...the others may just quote u an 'off the book' price-so bear that in mind). They have the written testing facility on site too which was a plus. Having spoken to them recently (going back to do my CFI) they told me they're bought accomodation half a miile away from the airport which is on their website. Thats a plus. I had to find my own place last time around though they helped me out a little. This time I'm hoping to stay in their accomodation. They've sold the aircraft I was flying there before and Dave (the owner) is an A&P too-so the aircraft were never down when I was there............just hope it's the same now (for my sake as well as yours)!

Anymore help-gimme a shout.

chipm
22nd May 2003, 04:08
BritishGuy,

thanks, i really appreciate the info and will check into both outfits.

by the way, what's the area like (besides being the destination of one-too-many "spring break" ventures for university students?) is the city and beach nice? where did you stay last time - in a hotel or where you able to find a short-term furnished let?

thanks again for the info :ok: :)

BritishGuy
22nd May 2003, 05:15
Hey, no problems........

yeah i have to say there about 5 unis in the town so it is a college/uni town for sure. Loads of great uni girls too. Always a plus, but beware those beach bum girls can be a bit up themselves (but hey, we're pros-only there to fly right? lol). Apart from students though, it can be hard sometimes to run into other citizens.....though maybe it was just the environment I was in-hard to say.

There's plenty, plenty of accomodation around the place, and its good accomodation too. Lots of shopping malls, golf courses, and the beach too is really good. Worth checking out. Didn't find the place too expensive myself....it was reasonable.

chipm
26th May 2003, 04:58
thanks, this all sounds pretty good, and i'm glad there's a lot of housing options. by the way, i emailed flycda and got a really nice response from dave - very friendly and informative, which is more than i can say for some flight schools. i told him they'd been recommended by an alumn on the pprune website, so may they'll give you a discount on your CFI if you remind them of all the potential business you're putting their way. ;)

i should have actually been clearer in the original post. i'm really trying to find out some info for my boyfriend who's the pilot. (but i'm glad there are loads of great uni girls for anyone else needing to blow of a little steam after a hard day flying :) ). i'm a yank, but have only ever been to the everglades for a canoeing trip so don't know most of florida. the only thing i've ever heard and seen about daytona beach is masses of very drunk and very horny college students eating jello shots off each other's chests on some "best of spring break" video, so it's good to know there's more to it than that. :)

did you rent a car when you were there or was it not necessary? when are you going back to do your CFI? and i just realised the edited out your stuff about *********** or whatever the other place was called that you mentioned in your initial post . . .wonder why . . .

<<edit: just did it again, for same reason>>