PDA

View Full Version : Securing A Gps Pilot 3

silvereagle
21st May 2003, 18:39
I have been flying with a Garmin GPS Pilot 3 for some years now. It is a cracking piece of equipment. The trouble is, I fly several different aircraft and always end up with it sliding around on the dashboard. Clearly, I can't use the (provided) dash mount and have been searching for ages to find a suitable mount.

I have seen mobile telephone holders with suckers which stick to the window. This seems the best option. As I say, I have been looking for something suitable for a long time - does anyone have any idea where I could get such a thing - or is there something better on the market?

QDMQDMQDM
21st May 2003, 19:00
Sticky backed velcro on the coaming works for me.

QDM

silvereagle
21st May 2003, 19:03
Yes, but you then have to stick velcro on every aircraft you fly. Also, the velcro ends up getting really tatty. I want a more permanent/temporary solution if you know what I mean.

bcfc
21st May 2003, 19:03
The only piece of kit you need is the Non-skid dash mount - a bean bag mount for the GPS III.

Part # 010 10195-00 and available from many places. An outdoor leisure shop near me sells them for £12.20. Adams (http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/cat9_1.htm) here want £17 :hmm: Scroll about half way down the page

Tango Oscar
21st May 2003, 20:35
I'm probably being a bit thick, but how does the bean bag mount work ? I was considering a yoke mount, but they're very expensive, and bulky too.

TO

bcfc
21st May 2003, 20:38
Velcro on the bottom of the unit sticks it to the bean bag. The bean bag has neoprene which stops it sliding around and the beans mould themselves to the surface of the dash and the GPS so you can angle it.

I have the yoke mount and the bean bag. They both work well in a 172. (as well as the car)

ETOPS773
22nd May 2003, 02:56
I have got the yoke mount kit myself. Not cheap at all,but certainly is easy to setup and use,plus easy to scan.
Worth the money...definately!! ;)

silvereagle
22nd May 2003, 22:19
Many thanks bcfc. What a cracking site for gadget men like myself. The thought of a bean bag never even crossed my mind.

yawningdog
23rd May 2003, 03:39
I secure my GPS III to the top of my Kneeboard. It's an ordinary kneeboard (Airtour CB3 Control Board) half A4 size.

I use a simple DIY right angled mending bracket which is a strip of metal 6 inches long and folded in the middle to make a right angle. They are used for mending corners of furniture etc and have pre-drilled screw holes.

One end of this is pushed in bettween the back of the spring clip and the board itself. The other end which is now sticking vertically upright from the board is used to mount the GPS using the screw fixing on the back of the unit. This can be bent to the right angle for the best screen view.

Its a simple no glue, instantly detachable method, but needs a remote aerial. No messing with dash mounts or velcro. Holds the GPS very firmly, above & out of the way of the flight plog.

Onan the Clumsy
23rd May 2003, 03:57
I've seen the bean bag and it looked like it would work ok. I use the 295 with the yoke mount and I know it would be expensive to buy it seperately, but I think it would be worth it as I use it a lot.

Keef
23rd May 2003, 07:35
I've got the yoke mount for mine, but have also been known to fix it to the coaming with a large lump of blue tack. Works fine.

Sensible
23rd May 2003, 16:04
I also use a yoke mount but when flying with a stick aircraft, I use velcro, it can be purchased by the roll quite cheaply at B&Q. if the surface of the aircraft is at the wrong angle, I also use a wood wedge with velcro both sides to incline the GPS to make it visible.