PDA

View Full Version : CPL Exams

Flying is the Pitts
21st May 2003, 18:20
Hey,

I need some advice ( sounds like the samaritans ). I've had enough with the JAA ATPLs exams. Like alot of you, I have a full time job, plus studying for a degree part-time(Finished year 1 for the summer now).

I have 6/8, exams, module 1 but Nav and Met have let me down on three atttempts 70% & 71%.

Its costing a lot of money to Travel over to Gatwick, time off etc. Hey I'm not moaning , I know alot of you have invested alot in your flying too. But my question is should I drop down and do the CPL exams and if so, where should I go.

All I want for the time being is to get a CPL and Instructors rating to build up hours etc. Then in the future to try and pursue some dreams of bush flying or floatplane flying in Aus.

I can't see myself flying for an Airline in the near future. I know alot of guys who have the ATPL exams, CPL/IR, MEP etc and who are up to their neck in debt, with no job and this scares me.

I would appreciate some helpful advice please!

Thanks

jamup
21st May 2003, 18:28
HI Mate ,

Yes I got your point , but since you have already done few exams why dont you finish the rest if you have more sitting s, I am telling you because I passed only 4 out of 14 and utiled 4 sittings , and then gave up and came to the southren Hemi and doing there CPL/Twin IR but I am looking for this CPl as well to come and do back in UK

Chek the CAA website of the FTOs and speak to AFT in coventry , there are only two places in UK who offer JAR CPL , I am going to do with AFT ,

Ok mate good luck

JAM

Flying is the Pitts
22nd May 2003, 15:41
Hey Jam,

Thanks Jam, I'm weighng up the situation you see. I first have to finish Module 2 before sitting my exams( 3 weeks off work, cost €2500, 3 attempts left) which I'd rather spend on flying hours! But I'm wondering will the CAA give me credits for my 6/8 ATPL exams.
They are a nightmare to get through to on the phone. By the way do you know another school that teaches for the CPL exams?
Would an Airline look at me in a negative way for taking such a route? Is there anybody else out there who took this route?

Once again thanks for your advice Jam!

jamup
22nd May 2003, 19:12
Mateeeeee,
The first thing that you should remember is that JAR CPL is different from the JAR ATPL, CPl there are only 9 papers and once you do it you can only fly little planes , simple as that since you cannot work as a co-pilot in an Airtarnsport ops with a JAR CPL. and also you have to pass the 7 IR exams to get a JAR Full CPL.IR , this route is mailny for the pople who want to be Instrucotors, so wanna ba a an Airline PIlot then the ATPls mate no choise ,, you have to do it ,,,I think if u want to do an airline job go for the 14 papers ,,,

JAR CPl , I know AFT does it but there a nother school , but you can get it from the CAA web page , so my advice is wanna a be an airline pilot then do the ATPLs , with CPL s you can be a sigle pilot ,,,,,no good for and cannot do airtransport ops,,,

Ok get back to me when u need more info,,,, or else go to Oxford Forum,,

Jam