PDA

View Full Version : Beech 35 info needed

deing
21st May 2003, 16:08
Looking to buy a 1947 vintage V-tail Bonanza with an E-185-8 engine. Anybody got some info operating/flying such a plane. What's the engine like.

thanks,
deing

Aerohack
21st May 2003, 18:03
Get hold of a copy of 'The Aviation Consumer's' Used Airplane Report on the V-tail Bonanzas. Order from www.aviationconsumer.com, and also check The American Bonanza Society's website www.bonanza.org where someone should be able to answer all of your questions. The 1947-48 so called 'straight 35' (as opposed to subsequent A35, B35 etc) had thinner wing skins and different centre-section structures than later models, and these have been a source of structural problems. Some were strenghthened, some not.

dirkdj
21st May 2003, 19:11
Aerohack gave some good advice.

Old Bonanzas and E185 engines are best appreciated in a museum. Best to choose a model from the mid-60ies on, with a more modern (?) IO470 or IO520 engine.

Also the model 33 is less critical regarding W&B than the model 35.

Balancing the ruddervators is very critical, serious flutter can result from improper maintenance of these parts.

Also check the Bonanza Safety review by ASF/AOPA.

The Bonanza is one of the best GA airframes, but choose a more recent model 33 or 36 (at higher price). Postponed or neglected maintenance items can be very costly to rectify. A prebuy inspection by a knowledgeable mechanic is essential.

From the American Bonanza Society you can order 'Flying the Beech Bonanza' by John Eckalbar, and Service Clinic By Norm Colvin.

http://www.bonanza.org

Kingy
21st May 2003, 19:56
I've been drooling over this beauty for a few weeks.

1947 Bonanza for sale (http://www.global-air.com/global/g03155.htm)

Kingy (bailiffs knocking, still dreaming)

Flyboy-F33
21st May 2003, 21:20
I would choose a later model if you can. There are a number of issues relating to early airframes.

A good source of info is "Those incomparible Bonanzas" by Larry A Ball. Still available in re-print.

There were 1500 'straight 35's' manufactured from 1945 although its beleived that there maybe only a few hundred still flying.

email me if you need more help . <[email protected]>

cblinton@blueyonder.
22nd May 2003, 02:51
I own an M35 Bonanza 1960 V tail wonderfull to fly.
Need any advice Email me

Beechcraft are the best !!!