PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft crash titles

jet_breeze
20th May 2003, 00:35
Airliners.net Picture (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/153149/L/)

Like in this picture why do airlines tend to want their tiles in this case Britannia removed. Is it to protect the airlines reputation for safety ?

Onan the Clumsy
20th May 2003, 00:47
Isn't it obvious?

Takes me back to a picture I saw in a book, of a crashed aircraft, obviously BEA, but the markings had been blacked out. Stupid really as it had a big black square on the tail. Why didn't they black it out with a circle?

The caption said It just goes to show the first person to arrive at the crash site is always the man with the pot of paint.

alki
21st May 2003, 00:38
Normally, the airline no longer owns or has legal possession of the aircraft, the insurance co. becomes the lucky owner.

luchtzak
21st May 2003, 01:39
Indeed that on every incident/crash they remove all the titles directly. Why ? Maybe for insurance but I also think to prevent bad advertising...

greetings,

Luchtzak

jet_breeze
21st May 2003, 06:12
thanks for the answers

HZ123
21st May 2003, 14:38
All correct especially as here there is so much web info and any such picture/s can be around the world in minutes. Although often the pictures are of ground incidents for logical reasons and have not involved risk to pax. But Jo Public will immediately associate them with a dodgy airline two that immediately spring to mind is a Saudi B747-400 about 16 months I believe in HKG that was written off on route from engineering to the terminal stand and sadly the BMI Kegworth 737 that had its titles painted over.

For the same reason Rolls Royce put covers over the cars when they are moved by road should anyone assume they have broken down.