PDA

View Full Version : Intensive IMC training in UK ?

FullyFlapped
20th May 2003, 00:10
Anyone know where I can go do an intensive (i.e. all done inside a week) IMC course in the UK ? Based in Yorkshire, but that doesn't matter really ...

Lucy Kimbell
20th May 2003, 01:15
You could do worse than try Northamptonshire School of Flying.

Intensive courses in PA28 Warriors from £1700. Excellent, thoroughly professional and friendly instructors. Accomodation available locally.

Suggest you ring 01604 644678

Floppy Link
20th May 2003, 02:48
Or Dawn Scott at Tayside in Perth. Her mobile 07816-911836
accom / examiners etc on field
FL

Delta Wun-Wun
20th May 2003, 02:52
I work at a Flying school in the Midlands which can do an intensive IMC course. Can`t mention it here as that is advertising. If it`s okay with the moderators send me a private message and I send you the details.

Ps To the Moderators, if this post breaches the terms of pprune then please remove it.:O

IO540-C4D5D
20th May 2003, 16:56
The min hours for the IMCR is 15. I doubt most people can do a USEFUL set in that time though. To actually use it, you probably won't need to do the NDB/VOR holds (which the training is full of) but you will need to be able to accurately navigate IFR (which in practice means GPS/VOR/DME) and do instrument approaches including an ILS. There is also a lot of discipline to pick up, altimeter QNH/QFE settings etc. I would allow at least 25 hours - not easy to do in a week unless you have great mental and physical stamina.

aztec25
20th May 2003, 19:53
Did mine in15 hours over 10 days in Guernsey. Busy challenging airspace with variety of approaches/av aids etc. A week's pushing it - I'd say 10 days minimum. The first 5 hours were the hardest flying I've evr done! It gets easier. Heartily recommend intensive course.
Az

KCDW
20th May 2003, 21:27
I did it in 2 weeks, and found it challenging and tiring. I would suggest 1 week would be very tough.

I would agree that 25 hours may be a more appropriate target to adequately fit in all the elements of the course. I did mine in 15, and my way round it was by using MFS 2002 as a pre training tool. I did 10 hours IFR on MFS 2002, while following the key bits in Thom. I can honestly say that I was perfectly ready to handle the basic stuff like the instrument scan, and even the more advanced stuff like the partial panel, with minimum time in the air.

This allowed for quality time to practice holds and approaches.

IO540-C4D5D
21st May 2003, 16:28
Yes absolutely I forgot to mention that say 10-20 hours on something like FS2002 will save you a good 10 hours on actual flying. It's a great tool. Now, if I am going somewhere new IFR, I fly the procedural approach on FS2k first, the night before. The scenery is crap but for IFR it's very good. Worth getting a yoke, and the CH one for about £100 is good enough.

charlie-india-mike
21st May 2003, 18:20
FullyFlapped

There is an advert that appears on the top of the page from time to time that offers IMC training at a reasonable rate. I assume that they can do an intensive course.

C-I-M

Northern Highflyer
21st May 2003, 19:19
Have you tried Sherburn ?

If you book it well in advance I can't see that they would have a problem with it.

Best of luck.

FullyFlapped
21st May 2003, 19:45
Thanks for all the advice and PMs, everyone. I take the point made several times about 15hrs training being probably insufficient, but I do already have 12 hours IMC training logged (but some while ago), so I'm not expecting miracles in a week !

Anyone, thanks to everyone again.

FF;)

Crowe
22nd May 2003, 00:32
can certainly do it at Sherburn if you book in advance - I did it there over 2 weeks, which didn't seem overly intensive, though it was hard work.

very well equipped a/c too, (HSI, RMI, 2 radios etc).

also waterlogged runways not a problem now with the hard strip. For quite a bit more money I'm sure multiflight or LFS at LBA will also block out a week for you with enough notice.

good luck wherever you do it