PDA

View Full Version : Vigilant - 55 kts Climb

A120
19th May 2003, 23:19
What are the views of other Vigi drivers of the new instruction to climb at 55 kts.

I understand that solo, the height loss following an EFATO is not too bad, haven’t tried it myself yet.

Pielander
20th May 2003, 01:14
I haven't tried a low EFATO yet either, but I understand the student circuit climb speed is still 60kts. Having said that, I haven't tried going straight into the full climb at 55kts yet either. (55kts +/-5, maybe. :p)

I'm sure all this is all down to noise abatement, which is all well and good so long as it doesn't compromise safety. Of course it begs the eternal question: "If you don't like aircraft noise, why live next to an airfield?":yuk:

Pie

UV
20th May 2003, 03:30
We have operated a civil Grob 109B, as a syndicate, for 18 years and have flown over 3000 hours to date. We are petty familair with the aircraft.
It all depends whether you are going to have to pay for your own maintenance!
I convert all our owners and advise them to climb at 60-65 knots, depending on the conditions, primarily for cooling purposes.
We also reduce power at at safe height (just as you would with a constant speed prop) for two reasons:
1 To reduce engine wear and
2 To prevent overheating.
In OATs above about 25C we find that the oil temp. rapidly reaches the yellow line and we instruct pilots to level off, change pitch and get some air through the system.
Seems to me that 55 is too slow for considerate engine handling!

A120
20th May 2003, 06:27
I understand that there is a noticeable reduction in noise, which is good news. No doubt this has been tested and proven to be safe, it is just a change we are going to get used to.

The only time I have seen the RPM going near 3k rpm is when the student drops the nose allowing an increase in speed.

I suspect this is going to be discussed at some length.

A120
21st May 2003, 02:30
Somewhat sad, but I have just been reading the Aircrew Manual and Part 2, Chap 2 Para 10 states - simulated engine failure (by closing the throttle) may be practiced after take-off at a minimum speed of 55kts ….

This might be worth remembering before pulling the throttle on a student who allows the speed to drop below 55kts. :eek: