PDA

View Full Version : Chart or Map?

Kolibear
19th May 2003, 22:36
Whats the difference?

I've always thought that a map is a pictorial representation of the ground as viewed from above, but a chart is diagram of a variable versus a constant ie, how your savings go down with time :)

But the legend on the top of my map..chart..map states 'Aeronautical Chart'

Dufwer
19th May 2003, 22:40
This sounds like the kind of question that would keep the others in Jet Blast occupied for hours :p

BEagle
19th May 2003, 22:42
Chart - primarily data. E.g Danger areas, airways, lat/long, ATZs frequencies.....

Map - primarily topographic and cultural information. E.g towns, hills, woods, roads, railways, frontiers

....and 'Here be dragons' on some of them!

FlyingForFun
19th May 2003, 23:39
And 'Here be dragons' on some of them!That would be the North of England chart/map, then? :D

FFF
------------

Evo
20th May 2003, 00:16
dunno, sounds like Solent to me... ;) :{

david viewing
20th May 2003, 00:17
The difference is, call it a 'map' at a US FBO/flying school and you'll get slaughtered!

Other than that, not much really.

Hufty
20th May 2003, 00:21
I've always associated charts with all things nautical (sea monsters and mermaids etc.) with maps representing things on land....

There, nice bit of value added :rolleyes:

magneticflip1
20th May 2003, 00:24
A map is a representation of the earth's surface and its features. However a chart is also a map but it also depicts certain information also, i.e airspace or sea lanes etc! Hence what pilots use are called charts not maps!;)

AerBabe
20th May 2003, 00:26
As BEagle says, a map is a representation of a surface, whereas a chart shows more data which might be useful for navigation.

And then there's mapping in the genetic sense and chart in the musical sense....

SW

knobbygb
20th May 2003, 00:51
I was going to say the same as magneticflip1, but then I realised that, as well as topographical features, the MAP I use when out walking/hiking also depicts such things as private land open by permission of the landowner (controlled airspace), footpaths across open moorland (VFR advisory routes), county, constituency and parish boundaries (FIR's and ASR's), trig points (NDB's) and even the odd airfield! So it's a CHART then!

tacpot
20th May 2003, 02:33
Yup, I understood that a map only showed things that actually existed on the ground, whereas a chart shows things that cannot be seen (controlled airspace, property ownership, rights of way, hidden reefs etc.). So an OS Map is actually a chart.

Keef
20th May 2003, 07:27
My diddy Oxford dictionary goes into lots of chat, but basically implies (in this context) that a chart is maritime, and a map land-based. Which is what I always thought.

I suspect we call aviation ones "charts" because the first navigators were men of the sea.

But I'll follow the Humpty-Dumpty principle that a word means what I want it to. Very postmodern, I know.

DBChopper
21st May 2003, 01:10
Aerbabe...

And then there's mapping in the genetic sense and chart in the musical sense....

So if I keep calling mine a chart, can I open it up and expect to find Danni Minogue in it? I do hope so...

DBChopper
:E

AerBabe
21st May 2003, 01:13
Huh? I said musical ... :confused:

DRJAD
21st May 2003, 15:21
Never heard anything musical described on a chart ...

Northern Highflyer
21st May 2003, 19:24
You can get lots of music if you tune the ADF in properly. :}

DBChopper
22nd May 2003, 03:18
Sorry - fair point.

I should have said, the girls from Steps

:p

FlyingForFun
22nd May 2003, 16:31
AerBabe, I think DBChopper is referring to the visual equivalent of music...

(Isn't Danni Minogue starting her new job as a Capital Radio DJ very soon? Seems a pity to shove her in a studio away from the cameras...)

FFF
--------------

StrateandLevel
23rd May 2003, 00:16
The CAA "Charts" are actualy Charts overprinted onto a topographical Map so that you have the best of both Worlds.