PDA

View Full Version : Examination desks @ Silsoe!

1.32vmd
19th May 2003, 22:07
Couldn't they find any smaller desks to use for our ATPL examinations @ Silsoe!!? How the hell are you meant to do the Planning exam on them. You'd think that the fee's we pay, they'd atleast supply us with an adequate sized desk!
Is it the same at Gatwick/ Glasgow?::(

Keygrip
19th May 2003, 23:34
Rules for desks say minimum 2'3" x 2'3" - with a three foot gap between it and the next one.

One person per desk.

VFE
19th May 2003, 23:42
The key to the flight planning exam is to utilise your floor space as well as the limited desk space.

Now if you were going to complain about the crap accomodation at the conference centre at Silsoe I might be willing to have a good ole winge along with you but the desk size gripe is as old as as the desks themselves. ;)

VFE.

cortilla
19th May 2003, 23:54
when i did my planning exam, they moved two desks together and that was adequate. don't know if they still do that though or whether or not it was just a one off

parris50
22nd May 2003, 07:05
I did my first batch of exams at Galsgow and the desks there were huge. Trouble is I did Flight Planning at Gatwick where they were tiny. S'pose it's good practice for keeping plog, plates and charts organised on your kneeboard during IR training!

VFE
22nd May 2003, 07:34
The accomodation at Silsoe is an absolute rip off in no uncertain terms. £45 for a single bedroom with en-suite that had a shower that didn't work. The en-suite window did not close up properly, the desk chair was falling apart, the coat hangers were useless and the hot water tap stopped & started everytime I ran it making even a wash over the basin a feckin' farce!

I put up with these problems as I was near to the venue and didn't want any upset whilst I was inbetween exams which is understandable.

£25 would be too much if the rooms were all fully functioning but £45 quite simply takes the piss really! Me and the ex had a double room at a 4 Star hotel in Hyde Park in January for £37. This was nowhere near as good as that (owing to said problems and the absence of female company of course) and even though being near to the exam hall constitutes a good location I hardly think Silsoe has much more to offer than that and ain't exactly in the same league as London.

I'll be staying in a B&B for my last 4 exams. :*

VFE.

Capt BK
22nd May 2003, 13:35
I stayed in an excellent B&B about a 10 minute drive from Silsoe. I paid 28 squid a night for a single occupancy of a twin room with a separate private bathroom. Run by a very friendly young couple and their dog Oscar and can definitely recommend the place. Send me a PM for any details. I'm not advertising, just a satisfied customer!:ok:

expedite_climb
22nd May 2003, 18:28
Slightly off topic.

I don't remember the silsoe accommodation being that bad (apart from the party somehad next door to me :* ), but that was 6 years ago.
Recently did an FI refresher seminar with AOPA at bristol. The accommodation at burwalls was the pits; it hadnt been refurbished in 20 or 30 years !!! It was also more expensive than local B&b's with ensuites !

VFE
22nd May 2003, 19:53
Well I ain't fibbing about my room. It was crap.

I got the distinct feeling that I was being taken advantage of price-wise like ATPL wannabes often are, what with all the exam fee's, licence issue fee's ect......I don't have any gripe with school prices as they tend to be in the same situation as us regarding a good shafting at any available corner.

"Oh he's training to be a commercial pilot.... must have a few bob.... let's charge double then" etc etc....

I can't be the only one to have noticed this vibe along the way either.

If I wanted to be f****d I would've pulled my pants down. :*

VFE.

Haul By Cable
23rd May 2003, 16:56
Steady on mate!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

It may be of some consolation to you to know that the conference centre at Silsoe lists the price per room on their website, so it is unlikely that you were taken advantage of by virtue of the fact that you were an 'ATPL wannabe'.

Best of luck with your ATPL.

Haul.

VFE
23rd May 2003, 17:44
I know, I know, of course you're right. But isn't it simply wonderful to have a good moan to the masses?! ;)

VFE.