PDA

View Full Version : Greek workers strike.. only affecting some?

Localiser Green
19th May 2003, 20:43
Today the General Workers strike in Greece has gone ahead, but from what I can see it is having a very mixed impact on flight operations.

Take LGW for example, Thomas Cook flights (TCX) to and from Greece are all running on time (early in some cases). Air 2000 on the other hand have 2 Corfu flights due in this afternoon not expected until 02:30 ish tomorrow, although their Preveza flight is on time?!

Britannia's 21:45 from Zakynthos is not due until 07:20 tomorrow - nearly 10 hours late!

So how come some flights are running fine, whilst others are suffering incredible delays? I have been in the ZTH terminal btw, not somewhere I would like to spend 10 hours!

How is it decided who gets to fly and who doesn't?

heinzmanm
19th May 2003, 21:42
The situation seems to be being echoed in Newcastle too. Both the SCY and MYT Corfu flights are on time yet the 0840 BY departure to ZTH is not set to depart until 0001 tomorrow. In addition, the Hola Thessaloniki/Skiathos due to depart at 1300 today is not planned to go until 0230 tomorrow.
I agree that there seems to be no real common ground for this!

Matthew

Localiser Green
19th May 2003, 21:55
Perhaps different airports are being affected to different degrees by the industrial action (Zakynthos for one!). But that wouldn't explain why the AMM flights to/from Corfu are all about 10 hours late when the TCX flights with similar timings are running ok.

Maybe TCX pilots have to load the luggage too :ooh:

Chucky_1
19th May 2003, 22:05
:* why are they striking it does not look good for the Olympic, I think they are already behind :yuk: in work.

Chucky :oh:

expedite_climb
19th May 2003, 23:14
Dunno about this time, but last year TCX (jmc) had a load of crewing and ops guys sent out to greece to load bags !!!

Call Established
20th May 2003, 00:17
I understand the ATC strike was cancelled on Sunday (last min).

Is it not a case that Air 2000 and maybe a few others thought it would definatley go ahead and so re-scheduled the flights and asked the tour ops to advise pax?

Then it was cancelled and TCX and few others did not re-schedule and tell the pax and therefore were able to ops as normal?????

This may explain why MON, MYT, AMM, XLA are all on-time to Greece today and HOA, SCY, and AMM ops late????