PDA

View Full Version : Australia CASA converting to JAA or Correspodance courses

lloverseed
19th May 2003, 09:45
Hi there, I am looking for someone who has been in my position, or can offer some wisdom!!!!!

I am a British citizen currently in Australia who has just got their PPL and is now starting my training for my CPL to the CASA (Australian) standards, however I have heard that conversion from CASA to JAA is quite long winded and needless approach to take.

What i need to know is answers to questions such as:-

Can I undertake a JAA correspodance course here in Australia, and if so what is the best way to do this?

Can I get my CPL with CASA, and they go back to England to sit my JAA ATPL? If so what are the advantages or pitt falls of this?

Will all my flight time here count towards CPL over in Britian?

Are there any other issues that i should be aware of?

Any help or advise would be more than gratefuly recieved, as I don't want to recieve costly and time wasting mistakes further down the line!!

Thanks
Lee.

redsnail
19th May 2003, 17:10
Yes, it is possible.... for a person in your position, very costly and no real possibility of work here for a while. (There's many low houred guys here with no work and next to no GA to get a start)

You can do a correspondence course in Oz. However, you must fly to the UK to do the exams. I recommend Bristol Ground School for the ATPL.

I'd get the CPL/IR in Oz. Much cheaper. Then get a job flying any where doing any thing. I would aim to get an Oz ATPL before considering the conversion. I would definitely try to get 500 hours multi crew time on turbines as well. You must get 500 hours multi crew before you can be issued with a JAR ATPL.

Your hours will be considered. However, you will have to do a skills test and a minimum of 15 hours (some sim) for the IR (JAR).

I have posted a lot about this both in this forum and in Dununda. Search my name and "JAR ATPL" etc.

In all seriousness, get the licences done in Oz and try all your might to get work in Oz. It's dire here for low houred guys and probably won't improve till 04-05.
The cost of converting your licence will be about as much as getting your CPL/IR again in Oz.

Have a look my website (http://www.mccannhj.flyer.co.uk/flying.htm). Note, the IR requirements have changed!!
Look up LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp) for the UK JAR info. Also check around the site for latest info.