PDA

View Full Version : Ifr Rules

smudge74
19th May 2003, 07:33
Hi all you air trafficers, a question for you all, If i am going to france VFR and the weather turns bad en-route and I go half way on IFR do I need to join the airways? My flight plan will be for a VFR flight?

Chilli Monster
19th May 2003, 15:14
Seeing as France is, on the whole, Class 'E' up to FL115 and IFR flight in Class 'E' (which includes airways) requires a clearance then yes

but

Do you have an IR (not an IMC)? Outside the UK no Instrument Rating = no IFR flight & no IFR clearance.

smudge74
19th May 2003, 23:03
I do have the IR but will I need to change my flightplan if we encounter bad weather enroute, or in France can I just carry on with the planned routeand just upgrade the service?

19th May 2003, 23:59
Don't confuse the ATC service you are receiving with the flight rules you are under; it's perfectly possible for you to be IFR (outside controlled airspace) and still only get a FIS out of ATC. The big difference for us (again, assuming you route outside controlled airspace) is that we can really only provide a RIS at best for VFR traffic, but you may get a RAS if you are IFR.

Unless you intend to cross some form of controlled airspace you can operate under IFR or VFR at your own discretion, subject to the general rules of the air and the rules for having filed a flight plan (as in the AIP).

As CM has said above - you do of course need to have all the appropriate ratings! :)

Maybe you'd be better posting in the French forum if you want a definitive answer as to what ATC expect/require across the water.

contact_tower
21st May 2003, 22:11
but you may get a RAS if you are IFR.

If you plan to go outside the UK this is mostly not the case , RAS is not available i many countries, only RCS and RIS. Only RIS in "G" offcourse. (check relevant AIP)

smudge74
3rd Jun 2003, 06:35
Thanks for the replies, it cleared my doubts and as a result had a great weekend in southern france, just B4 the French ATC strikes but I only have one question why oh why can't the french be as professional as you guys (Talk about a bad service from the Boundry onwards !!!) keeps up the good work! thanks:ok: