PDA

View Full Version : When the going gets tough........part 1

Pilot Pete
16th May 2003, 19:45
Following on from

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6911&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I thought I would try to provide a little more inspiration for those who are finding things tough during these difficult times for being a Wannabe. So here is the latest instalment in my roller coaster airline career.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yes, that’s right, I last told you about the one-on-one with the base captain announcing to me that I was formally being made redundant. I had known for some time it was going to happen, it was just a case of the company getting the formal 90 day negotiation period with BALPA out the way. Once again it seemed I, along with 24 others were being dealt a dodgy hand from the chief pilot in the sky.

The benefit of the company holding the 90 day negotiation period separate from the 90 day notice period was immeasurable and I think an oversight on the part of the new MD who was chopping to the bone. He’d become rather aptly nicknamed Scary Spice due to his initials (of middle eastern origin) being ‘M. el B.’ Other companies pilots faired less well and the two periods were run concurrently. The jmc pilot management had been excellent throughout doing everything possible to reduce the numbers for compulsory redundancy from the initial 55 down to the 25 who were receiving formal notice. Not much consolation for the 25 of us however who now faced the distinct possibility of being out on the unemployed pilot market at probably the worst time for over a decade.

The stress at home was intense, our third (and final!) child was due in March and I was to be laid off at the end of May. I had managed to get payment protection insurance before the redundancy issue and felt a little relieved that at least we wouldn’t lose our home. What I couldn’t control was the fact that we were still unsure as to the health of our soon to born baby, the scan problems I highlighted in a previous post.

A stay of execution came by way of management negotiations with Air2000, who had cut costs rather too far after September 11th, certainly with the number of pilots laid off and who were now facing a deficit for the start of the summer season. A deal was struck to supply 9 pilots for the summer season, on a loan basis at Manchester and Gatwick. The pilot managers at jmc could show the reduced cost on paper thus getting agreement to extend our redundancy date until October 31st. Other voluntary redundancy options, early retirement packages and pilot loans to anyone around the world looking got the number down to about 5 once those moving on to better things (Emirates etc) had been taken out of the equation. It was agreed that they could stay the summer as a ‘buffer’.

I had just completed my first renewal in the sim with jmc and it was off to Air2000 to start again. The usual conversion ensued with more tech, crm and sim. The two companies’ procedures were very similar and that made the transition reasonably straight forward. Once my line training was out the way I settled in for a summer of hell, just grateful to still have a job. They were very short of pilots and my roster may as well have been torn up considering how little of it I actually ended up sticking to. Terminal two at Manchester was my new home and the staff car park issue came more to the fore because the staff bus didn’t even stop outside T2! What an airport!

The upside of flying so much was the duty pay, which helped keep our heads above water, the down side being disrupted sleep patterns and the slow onset of fatigue. Thomas was born on 22nd March and although very good, still did his best to let me know he was there at times that didn’t suit my body clock. Suzie was finding life tough, to say the least, with three boys under the age of five to look after and me seemingly only ever sleeping when I was at home.

All through the summer I had been keeping abreast of developments through the Balpa company council website/ forum and in constant contact with friends and colleagues. It became obsessive. Every little twist and turn, every glimmer of hope, every downturn in negotiations. The stress was terrible and with hindsight I now realise that, certainly towards the end of my stint at Air2000 I should not have been flying. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. So is experience, and I have taken from the whole episode a greater understanding of stress and fatigue and fitness to fly. I have even been to see Brian Simpson MEP to voice my concerns about the FTL scheme for Europe, but that’s another issue!

Ever since January I had been badgering DHL for an interview, as they were the only 757 operators who were currently recruiting. I guess they couldn’t believe their luck to find so many qualified and current 757 pilots banging on their door? They had big plans for a fleet of around 29 a/c, which were being delivered at the rate of around two a month. I had phoned and mailed, emailed and phoned again only to be told that the current round of recruiting had closed and I would be considered in the next round a month or so later. I was dismayed to hear in July that several of the guys kept on at jmc as ‘buffers’ had been given jobs at DHL. It transpired that they only needed to give one month’s notice to jmc as they had been served formal redundancy notice. Well? So had I. Ah, but I was on loan to Air2000 and therefore had to give Air2000 three months notice! But I was still employed by jmc! The phone was snatched of the receiver and the Fleet Manager’s number dialled to register my protests. He hummed and arred for a minute or so as I pointed out how unfair the situation was – 9 of us were cutting costs for the company and being penalised for it. He then took the bull by the horns and said that jmc would not hold me to the 3 months notice should I find an alternative job. I think under employment law they probably couldn’t have stopped us giving only one month, but as you are aware the industry is just too small to be stamping all over employers toes……….

My next phone call was to DHL offering the news that I was available at 30 days notice. Just to prove the last paragraph’s final point I was advised that I would be called back, as they weren’t aware that jmc had changed their view! All through the whole process jmc/Air2000 and DHL were conversing to prevent ‘pinching’ each others staff. Understandable I guess, but a little shocking when I first found out. It appears that my 3 months notice was what was holding up my application. I was called back the same day and asked for interview.

continued on next post, due to character count being too long. Could the moderators merge them please?

Pilot Pete
16th May 2003, 19:47
Continued from Part 1

It was now August and I’d had to remove the mothballs from the old suit once again in preparation for another interview. It went fine, along with my psychological profiling; which do you prefer, a well crafted gun or a well written piece of prose?!

I was sent down to Cranebank to do a bit of stick and rudder in the 757. Very enjoyable, so much less stress when it’s the a/c you fly every day. My sim time was slowly but surely catching up with my flying time! The good news arrived a day or two later, I was offered a job starting in a month. I advised jmc and was told I would have to formally put in writing my wish to accept the voluntary redundancy package. It was a sad day, but I needed the security that DHL offered.

My last day at Air2000/jmc arrived and I drove to Commonwealth House with my flying life in a cardboard box. The admin was completed and I had my A4 sheet with various signatures on to show I had handed everything back. I went up to the management floor for the last time to say my goodbyes and had a huge lump in my throat as I got out the lift. This had been my first airline job and 18 months earlier I would never have expected it to end quite like this.

The Chief Pilot welcomed me into his office and I explained my position (which he was already well aware of) and I handed him a letter confirming my wish to be released from my contract. He was very sorry that things had come to this and consoled me by saying if things had been different he would have kept us all on and got rid of some of those further up the seniority list! He wished me well and assured me I was doing the right thing. His parting words were to remember what this felt like should I ever progress to the lofty heights of Chief Pilot in years to come. He had experienced something similar many years before and that was why he fought so hard to keep us. As I left his office the DFO caught sight of me and rushed over to have a word. The last time I had come across him was when he had been Chief Pilot and had signed off my ‘bumps’ all those months before. He offered his apologies too and wished me well for the future. He shook my hand hard and I turned to leave for the last time, fighting the lump in my throat, which I feared was about to jump out!

A new chapter began with more groundschool, this time at East Midlands, yet more crm and loading, performance and SOPs. With that out the way it was off to the sim at Cranebank once again for my conversion to DHL. It amazes me how the same aircraft can have such different SOPs from one company to the next. DHL had used Britannia’s SOPs when they started up and boy, were these different to the ones I had used previously! What didn’t help is the books were not exactly as should be and left lots of areas open to question/ interpretation, which, coupled to the fact that the trainers were BA meant that no-one in the sim had a definitive answer to what we should have been doing! Oh well, that would come with the line training so let’s just get on with getting the basics right.

As you can imagine, cargo ops are very different from pax. The line training was fun and the new environment, well, new. No cabin crew, no pax, no seats, NO FOOD! I settled into night freight and started enjoying spending time in many of Europe’s capitol cities. I got to know Brussels better than Manchester over the following six months! It was comparatively stress free, the flying was easy, if a little monotonous due to nearly all RVILSs, but with some great exposure to winter ops around Scandinavia! Helsinki is somewhat different to Tenerife in December!

Suzie, however, was not having such a whale of a time looking after the boys whilst I gallivanted around Europe for six days at a time. It was becoming like a prison sentence at home, with no parole for good behaviour. Just over a month had passed since leaving jmc behind and news filtered through that there had been a change of MD and the redundancies had been cancelled, just before the date itself arrived. This deflated me a little but I was determined to put the past behind me and not look back. Another week or so passed and Britannia started recruiting for summer ’03. I decided to stick where I was and put my head down. The trouble at home would not though. We discussed the issues at length and realised that I was being admirable by not wanting to let my new employer down, but was letting my wife and children down instead. We decided I had to apply to Britannia, mainly for the lifestyle issue, but to be brutally honest, it was the type of flying I wanted as well. I was not a Freight Dog at heart and was unlikely to change as long as I had a young family.

I was delighted to receive an application form, which I duly completed in my best handwriting! The call came to attend a selection day down at Gecat and within 2 mins of walking in the room there we were doing a maths test. English followed, then 2 group exercises, lunch, a psycho profile and then a chat from a Brits F/O on the training team (turned out to be an old acquaintance from OATS) about the company. Had to wait a couple of days before being called back for day two which included two interviews, one with a psychologist, the other with management and HR and a sim assessment in an HS125. Urgghhhh. Steam driven instruments! Hadn’t done much on them for a while and consequently it made exactly the same profile as DHL considerably harder! I left the sweat box confirming it’s nickname! Pheww! I thought I’d messed up in the sim and decided that I’d blown my chance with Britannia and put it down to experience. I put it out of my mind awaiting the inevitable ‘thanks but no thanks’ letter and was therefore bowled over to receive a phone call some 9 days later offering me a job at Manchester! I’d obviously been too critical of my sim performance. I suppose I knew I could have done better, but that’s not what they were looking for.

We had a celebration and I had to get the boys onto Airliners.net to look at daddy’s new livery (for the last time!) The bad news was that several guys who had passed the selection were put ‘on hold’ due to the Gulf. I wish them well throughout the summer and success when they start in the autumn.

Yet again it was groundschool and crm, seps and performance, blah blah blah. Then into the sim for my 4th OPC in a year, with my 4th different set of SOPs! I’ve had enough of all this training. I’m trained up to the eyeballs! The line training went well and it was a pleasure to meet all my new colleagues, who appeared to be a happy bunch. Part way through I was met with the news that, together with my training partner (ex Air2k) we were to be converted straight onto the 767! Great news…………just one more OPC then, making it 5 in the year! I’ve now completed ALL my training and am once again enjoying my flying and life. Based on my now quite considerable experience in the field I have written an interview techniques course in the hope of being able to pass on my observations and knowledge to future pilot job applicants. The future appears reasonably bright at Britannia and from a personal point of view, fairly stable due to the large number of retirees over the coming years. I am immensely happy to be working for them and look forward to many more years…………………but you never know in this industry.

I wish to thank my tireless wife for all her support throughout these difficult times and urge her to keep the focus as it will all turn out well in the end.

So Wannabes, if you want it enough you can do it. It all comes down to character. Don’t let yourselves down or you will only have yourselves to blame, every hurdle put in front of you is just a test of character.

Good luck and dig in for the long slog. It’s never over.

PP

no sponsor
16th May 2003, 22:17
Thanks PP. I was wondering when you would complete the story.

Out of interest, I would like to know why freight was not for you: was it just the time away from home, or something else?

Many thanks.

Jimbo-in-debt
16th May 2003, 22:24
How does a wannabe follow that then?! Any suggestions?!

A brilliant post; arguably the most inspiring to be found on PPRuNE...apart from the one you wrote in August 2001!

Oh, and on the subject of character, it speaks volumes about yours that you're willing to take the time and effort to pass on such invaluable experience. Many, many thanks.

fonawah
16th May 2003, 23:51
Truly inspirational stuff PP. I am still a very long way off (7hrs PPL training so far) but that read has just made my week.
It really just goes to prove that if you want it badly enough somehow you will get there.
Thank you very much for sharing that with us.
Best wishes with your new job
Fonawah

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th May 2003, 02:27
Pilot Pete. Thanks once again. Your contribution to Wannabes has been marked, personal and profound. Thank you.

I am sure you'll now be happy and settled in Britannia, I have several mates there and all things considered, its one of the best companies to work for.

You deserve it, enjoy it.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th May 2003, 04:00
Pete, another enjoyable read, I have read your previous posts and they certainly do give inspiration. I am currently two thirds of the way through the ATPL course, and I shall go on!!

Good luck with your job with Britannia, you will be a B767 skipper soon :ok:.

Cheers.

Delta Wun-Wun
17th May 2003, 05:44
WWW/Scroggs....Is there any chance of all Pete`s posts being merged into one and perhaps kept in the archives.......Truly Inspirational stuff:D
Pete good luck and best wishes to your family.

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th May 2003, 17:15
Duly merged.

Pilot Pete
18th May 2003, 20:58
Thanks to you all for your replies.

no sponsor
There are a number of issues regarding night freight, as there are with all types of flying. I actually enjoyed it a lot, and DHL were an excellent employer, offering stability in these difficult times. The major issue was a personal one, which I alluded to in the post; the time away from home was considerable - up to seven days at a time. My roster gave me plenty of days off which unfortunately did not make up for the time away in the eyes of my wife who was having to deal with our three boys by herself, with no family close by, whilst I was off flying. Charter flying suited my home life much better; you work hard but come home every day/night, which, even if shattered makes a big difference for the wife, at least she can pop down to Tescos without having to plan a major logistical movement of 3 under fives! I've never done longhaul, but the effect of night freight was the same, lots of time away from home and then a recovery period once you get home. In time I will do longhaul with Britannia, but it's not constant, just several trips in a year which we could cope with.

PP