PDA

View Full Version : PA200 Intercoms

Arclite01
16th May 2003, 19:19
:( I just brought a PA200 2 place intercom unit.

Unfortunately the background noise is incredible and adjustment of the squelch does not seem to help - makes conversation impossible.

Is the unit faulty or are they just poor quality ?, or is the use of a Clarke headset a problem (some people tell me it is) or is it background noise in the cockpit that's a problem ?

Or are they affected by unshielded ignition systems.

Can anyone recommend a fix ? If so please let me know Or can you recommend a better portable intercom ?

Any experience anyone has of this type of unit and/or problems/fixes much appreciated.

Ta

tacpot
16th May 2003, 23:30
If the unit was bought in the UK, and you told the sales person what headsets (and type of aircraft e.g. open-cockpit, microlight etc. ) you wanted to use the Intercom with, then you may be able to return it under the Sale of Goods act as being unfit for it's purpose. You might have to argue with them that the level of background noise makes the unit truely unfit, but most companies will consider your arguement.

This is definitely a purchase that should be made only with a guarantee that it can be returned for a full refund if found to be unsuitable.

Did you try the unit out before purchasing it?

stiknruda
17th May 2003, 01:18
Arc - some bozo left one of these units in my aeroplane the other day and I found it less than satisfactory.:( :{ :)

Suggest that you do as TACPOT (who drives the only other UK Pushpak) suggests and get it exchanged as unfit for purpose.

Did it not come from Edinburgh?

Stik

Arclite01
17th May 2003, 02:48
I got it from Pilot warehouse. I'm going to ask what their returns policy is. It's on guarantee so if it's faulty it needs fixing.

Question still remains - has anyone else had problems and/or can anyone else suggest a good portable intercom unit ?

It's a shame that the ole'Pushpak hasn't got a decent radio & intercom setup Stik :=

Seriously though folks it is an issue for me, which is causing me some grief and making the flying less of a pleasure than it should be for my passengers so.......... any help you guys in the GA community can give - much appreciated:ok:

A thought.

What sort of Intercom & radio combo does TACPOT have in the other Pushpak ?

And is it satisfactory ?

And a rough cost ?

And no I did'nt test it before I bought it - I naively assumed it would work as advertised :{

squawking 7700
17th May 2003, 04:28
I've got a PA400, similar, but 4 place. It's pretty quiet.

Try the unit at home where aircraft electrical interference and wind noise aren't going to be a problem.

Have you got a decent mic muff?

Try it with different headsets.

The only headsets I've had compatibility problems with (in other aircraft intercom systems) are DC's. I've got a PA21-60, a basic
Harry's and a no name, and all are fine.

Squawking 7700

IO540-C4D5D
18th May 2003, 01:40
I bought one of those about 2 yrs ago; it worked fine with the Pilot 17-79 headset (which itself was crap as far as ANR went, and to cut a very long story short I eventually returned it) but didn't work so well with the Bose, but it does work well enough for me to carry it in the emergency bag. The internal construction of this product was junk, for the price.

tacpot
18th May 2003, 06:26
The other Pushpak (G-BXTO) has a Flightcom Intercom and Icom A2 (hand-held) radio. However the intercom is permanently mounted and is supplied with power from a rechargable battry under the seat. The Icom radio is not permanently wired in, as each member of the group has their own radio, but there is an external aerial lead, and the power lead from the battery and headset/mic interface leads from the Intercom are all taken to ou Icom mount point - which stiknruda will recognise as baling twine. We have a PTT switch on each yoke.

Unfortunately, the aerial does not seem to improve the range of the Icom to any great degree, and the intercom is very sensiteve about the headsets used with it. For example my Pilot 17-76 will not transmit if another headset is plugged in but will if it is the sole headset in use!

One of the other group members is kindly loaning his own and his spare headset for use in the aircraft - I think they are both Flightcoms, and of course they work ok wih the Flightcom intercom. So I guess this is the lesson here; Intercoms and Headsets need careful matching, unless you pay more money - Sigtronics panel mount intercoms I have used seem to work with any headsets.

We are just running the engine in on BXTO following a rebuild that was needed to cure a low oil pressue problem. Hopefully when it is run in we can take her further afield and perhaps get the two Pushpaks together.

Arclite01
18th May 2003, 23:03
This is all really useful stuff.

The radio in use is an ICOM A21. So that is similar territory.

I'm gradually formulating a strategy:

1. I'll try the intercom somewhere quiet and see if it works OK.
2. I'm going to buy another headset the same as my current one (I should have done that anyway as I'm always scrounging Stik's spare and that's less than ideal)
3. If this does not solve the problem then I'll sell the PA200 on Ebay and try another make.

Which raises 2 other questions:

1. Anyone know of a decent portable intercom that works with the ICOM A21 ?

and,

2. If Clark headsets are such a pain from a compatability perspective, why are they so popular ? - they sure ain't cheap

Ta chaps

Arc:=

Tacpot

Many thanks for your help.

I'm sure Stik would agree to a meet up somewhere.

We are going to the PFA rally so maybe there if not before

stiknruda
19th May 2003, 16:19
Arc/TACPOT

Happy to meet up - we should perhaps consider meeting halfway - I guess Leics is as good a place as any.

If BXTO is going to the PFA rally, then it might be an idea to rv en route and go in together to increase the possibility of parking near each other or God forbid, even next to each other!

We'll be routing DAV, Turweston, etc and avoiding the Brize zone to the north or rather Arc will as I'll be in a different aeroplane!

Stik