PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism Act 2000 (Schedule 7)

WorkingHard
16th May 2003, 03:20
A question for all you knowledgeable flyers out there. I have been given some documents by our local Special Branch because one of my regular trips takes me to a place specified in the above Act. I have no objection to Special Branch being informed of my movements at all. I do find it a little strange however that they should want my Pilot Licence details and am very concerned that I have to ask them for "permission" to undertake this trip. Yes we now need their permission it seems. If refused one wonders what happens next, just hop a commercial to the destination?Can anyone offer guidance as to the legality of this requirement? I have tried the Home Office who remain strangely reticent to give a definitive answer.

bookworm
16th May 2003, 04:38
If you depart Great Britain for one of the places the act applies to (NI, RoI, IoM, CI) then you must either:

a) leave from a designated airport

or

b) give the police 12 hours notice

The same provisions apply for arrivals.

The Terrorism Act 2000 Schedule 7 (http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00011--t.htm#sch7) specifies notice not permission.

Note that the police have the right to stop, question and detain passengers and crew on any flight.

mutt
16th May 2003, 07:20
I have just read schedule 7, i cant find any reference to seeking permission.......

Did i miss it?

Mutt:)

WorkingHard
16th May 2003, 14:56
Thanks for the info so far, this is a great help in keeping our freedoms alive and making sure authorities act within the law as we try to do.

Father Mulcahy
16th May 2003, 17:17
Mutt,

Terrorism Act 2000 Schedule 7 Paragraph 12

(3) Where an aircraft is employed on a journey to which this paragraph applies otherwise than to carry passengers for reward, the captain of the aircraft shall not permit it to call at or leave a port in Great Britain or Northern Ireland unless-

(a) the port is a designated port, or

(b) he gives at least 12 hours' notice in writing to a constable for the police area in which the port is situated (or, where the port is in Northern Ireland, to a member of the Royal Ulster Constabulary).

You're not seeking 'permission' just giving them notice, you don't need to wait for a reply from SB, just ensure the 12 hours is complied with. If they want to stop you going they'd have to come out to the field and detain you. Failure to comply with 12(3) is an offence... etc etc etc

Regards

FM :ok:

david viewing
19th May 2003, 18:32
That's not how the SB officers I have spoken to interperet it. They definitely see it as 'permission'.

WorkingHard
20th May 2003, 04:08
It seems I may have been right to raise this item. Different constabularies are interpreting this Act very differently. The "threats" from Newcastle a while ago brought this to mind, hence the posting. We need to all be vigilant in protecting our rights from those who are there to serve and not to be served. Any coments from others with experience would no doubt be welcomed by all who travel abroad with their own aircraft.