PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Airport ( West Air )

jet_breeze
15th May 2003, 05:21
Does anyone have past experience with any Flightschools at Blackpool ( EGNH ). It is approx 10 miles from my house and i'd like to learn to fly there. However i am slightly concious to what winds are like on the field eg for crosswinds etc. So has anyone have any experience at the flying school or airport for that matter.
Cheers

Onan the Clumsy
15th May 2003, 07:43
Wish I did, but I started flying after I left. Good luck though and say hello to the old town for me will you?

Valiant
15th May 2003, 15:47
I did my PPL from Blackpool but that was about 10 years ago now, and I've not flown from there for several years. I actually trained with the British Aersopace club which was based at Westair, so although I never flew with any Westair instructors, I met a few and they were a friendly professional bunch.

A friend is currently doing his PPL with ANT at Blackpool and he seems happy with them too.

FlyingForFun
15th May 2003, 15:58
Jet_breeze,

I'm not familiar with Blackpool, but I wonder why you're specifically worried about cross-winds?

I fly from White Waltham, a fantastic (if expensive) grass airfield just west of London. It has three runways, so there's always one roughly into wind - which is great, because it's very rare that the wind is outside my limits. On the other hand, I get very little cross-wind practice, so I'm far less confident in cross-winds than many pilots with a similar amount of flying experience to me. It's all swings and roundabouts - whatever aspect of flying you're talking about, there will advantages and disadvantages on both sides of the argument, so I'd suggest that you don't worry too much about cross-winds, and go for it.

FFF
--------------

long final
15th May 2003, 16:23
jet_breeze,

Blackpool - 3 runways, 28/10 predominantly used. 31/13 25/07 are smaller and used less but give the crosswind choice. Very helpful and understanding (re. students) ATC. Busy airport with Ryan now operating there. Good if you are planning a commercial career.

I did my ppl at Westair after looking at all the clubs. They are probably the most expensive, but have very reliable and well-maintained A/C. Personally I was very happy with the club. I have only heard negative comments about one of the other clubs.

Best thing to do is go down and have a word with them all and have a look at the facilities.

Regards.
LF

AndyDRHuddleston
16th May 2003, 01:27
Jet Breeze,

Funny you should ask this question, I just sent off for my PPL issue today, after 18 months of training with BAE SYSTEMS flying school at Westair.

Although I have had no experience with any other schools, I would highly recommend training there, as they have very professional, friendly and knowledgable instructors and their aircraft are all very well maintained. John Hobday is in charge of the Flying School, give him a call if you have any other queries, he's very helpful.

As Flying for Fun stated, crosswinds should not be your main concern!!!!, low cloud and rain should be at the top of your list!! as this is what mainly restricts the amount of flying you can do at BPL.

All the best anyway, I may well see you there some time!!

ADRH

AeroBatfink
16th May 2003, 06:33
Hi JetBreeze,

I did my initial training at Westair before doing the remainder of my PPL and Night Rating in South Africa (no reflection on the school - I simply can't afford to fly enough in this country!). As stated above, they were always very helpful and professional - most of my (infrequent) flights were with Dave Brown, who is very easygoing. Not sure if he's still there though. Also flew with ANT a couple of times - they're also good, in my experience.

Comed signed me off on variable pitch aircraft (my first time in one) after an hour in the air! Make of that what you will, but suffice to say, I haven't used my 'option' to fly the type since! I think it'll take me a little longer than an hour to satisfy myself I'm safe to fly it. It's worth looking at all the schools on the airfield though...

Blackpool is a good field to fly from, nice and close to the area you'll do your messing around, and as mentioned above, the ATC are very helpful.

Briefly flew from Liverpool as well, at RavenAir (who I'd also recommend for their professionalism), but the airspace is a b*tch round there for a beginner - all good experience though!

Don't worry about the crosswinds! You'll usually be able to use a runway that's as near as... the cloud will more likely be a problem, but that's a fact of life in this country, I'm afraid. And if you think Blackpool is windy, you should try Port Elizabeth in South Africa!! Great fun!

jet_breeze
19th May 2003, 03:37
Thankyou very much for the replies i will be taking a trial flight there soon.
Thanks again

jonnys
19th May 2003, 04:36
Hey,

I am currently at Westair, got my PPL last summer.

I can only agree with what has been said already. The flying instructors are all top notch, John Hobday is one of the friendliest most helpful flying school managers you could know and the aircraft are all kept in tip top condition.

Training will be first rate...you will be addicted after your trial lesson!! The school always keeps in touch with all it's members with newsletters and info on events anf fly outs (of which there are plenty)

Have you checked out www.westair.uk.com? There's a ton of information there.

I tried a couple of schools at EGNH before settling for Westair. Best choice I ever made!

All the best with you trial. Might see you down there some day soon!

P T Flea
19th May 2003, 07:55
Hey FlyingforFun,

I fly from White Waltham, a fantastic (if expensive) grass airfield just west of London

Give me Wycombe Air Park any day of the week!

Completed my PPL there with the BA flying club. May not be the cheapest place, but when doing XC, there's nothing sweeter than rolling up in a warrior in full BA colours. There's even a choice of tails!

http://www.bafc.co.uk/

Have flown out of WW maybe once or twice for pleasure flights, but I can't really remember what it's like. I do remember always seeing it as one of my land marks during my PPL XC's.

As for cross-winds, I say just do it and relish the practice. They won't let you fly when it's out of limits and when there is one there's just a set technique you learn which is easy to use. I seem to recall a couple of hairy approaches into Bournemouth Int and Blackbushe where they came particularly in useful (you know kind of approach where you're eyeing up the numbers of the end of the wing tip!).

PT
:ok: