PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol contracts

Zob La Mouche
15th May 2003, 03:48
Hi there,

First, I'd like to say that I tried to find out the answer to my question with the "Search Engine" but no way... So, let me ask you something. I'd like to apply for the Eurocontrol ATC position, I received at home the beautiful package, and it definitively sounds exciting! But I still have a question about the contracts itself. As I understood, you need to stay at least 4 years in the company. Does it include the 2 year training period? I'd say not, but not sure :p Well I have to say that being an ATC is for me a great and real chance to discover the other part of Aviation, Air Traffic Control. But in my mind, I'd like to fly as a flight officer, but I don't want to run like a road runner ;) to a flight deck. My plan is to get ready with my JAA ATPL ground school, and to enjoy flying some small aircrafts during my days OFF and to save money, to enroll a CPL IR course next. I know that's a long and hard "road", but basically I want to be a pilot, and I think that an ATC position could give me a real great experience in the aviation field... Maybe I'm so far away from a reasonable thought, so please drop me some lines here to give me your opinion! I mean maybe "you get an ATC job for all your life and career". About that, I don't know either what would think Eurocontrol recruiters during the interview if I tell them that I see myself seated on a B737 with a captain on my left or whatever :D within 6 years. You see what I mean ;). Anyway, let's wait and see, that's a long recruitement process and I have to pass Phase1 and 2 before thinking actually of that: I just wanted to share my own little "experience" ;)

La Mouche

Striker
15th May 2003, 04:09
Firstly, the four year minimum contract starts after you have had your second and final checkout.

Secondly, I definitely wouldn't mention your overall grand plan to become a pilot in the interview if you get that far. The interviewers are not going to warm to someone who plans to leave the company as soon as he can, especially with the shortage of staff we have at the moment.

Thirdly, I also wanted to become a pilot, but I must say that after working for three years as a controller I am perfectly happy as I am. You can always go flying in your spare time, and ten minutes after my shift has finished I'm back at home with my feet up and not stuck in some hotel. The money issue doesn't really come into it either, not that it would be a motivation to becoming a pilot for most people.

Good luck anyway

Zob La Mouche
16th May 2003, 00:02
Thank you Striker for your fast reply and very interesting point of view. I expected more and less everything you said. So I have to make the good grades, pass all the phases and overall have fun with that selection ;)

I appreciate.

Talk to you later,

bye

porra
16th May 2003, 05:25
Just a little correction...it's 4 years to stay after one's FIRST check-out....saves you a little time...

Zob La Mouche
16th May 2003, 17:50
Thanks Porra! :p

Are you a student right now at Eurocontrol?