PDA

View Full Version : Training in the US - How far can I go ???

skinteastwood
14th May 2003, 21:25
I'm planning my flight training at the moment (from zero hours) and don't have buckets of cash to throw about. The US seems the way forward for me but I wondered how far I can go over there as I intend to come back to the UK and look for work here. Here is my rough plan, am I dreaming?

Train (JAA) initially in the US until able to commence ATPL distance learning course, for which I'll return to the UK (for a year?). Return to US and continue training then instruct for hour building. (hopefully) leave with frozen ATPL and walk into a F/O job in the UK.

Only joking about the last bit, I actually relish the idea of working on smaller a/c and working my way up.

Your thoughts on my marketability in the UK after completing the vast majority of training in the US please?

captmav
16th May 2003, 02:35
Hi Skint.....

Just one thought..if you go to the US to train and then intend to hour build then you need to consider the visa requirements.

To work out there you obviously need the authorisation, which is going to be the J-1 visa. To be eligible for this you must have only the very basic of flying hours, any more than about 70hrs and you'll struggle.

So if you are going to build hours then my advice would be to go out to the US, do your FAA CPL/IR and instructor ratings with a good school that can issue the J-1, then stay and work for a couple of years, come back with an FAA ATP and then do your JAA conversion. You never know you may even have a really great time while you're out there ( I know I did..!! )

all the best,
Captmav