PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about RANT2000

magneticflip1
14th May 2003, 19:24
I'm thinking about buying RANT. I currently have the demo, which includes the map for southern england, not a prob since I live in the south; however in the full version are maps of Scotland, Ireland and central england also included??

Also it says somewhere that approaches and SIDs can be flown; how many of these are included and is it relatively straight foward to design your own?

cheers!!:p

drauk
14th May 2003, 20:17
Yes, there are maps for the whole of the UK.

There are a couple of SIDs and half a dozen approaches included. Defining your own is easy, but if you want to see the chart as well you'll need to scan it (or grab them online) and calibrate the image (not that that is difficult, just a bit of a fiddle).

Keygrip
14th May 2003, 21:24
There is also a subscription available (about £10 - don't quote me on that price) that gives you access to oodles of approach plates and procedures. It comes on a second disc - or download from the website www.oddsoft.co.uk

RANT has to be the best radio tracking trainer I have ever seen - costs about 20 minutes time in an Oxford Seneca and can save you hours and hours of aircraft hire. Go for it - the practice that you can get at tracking, position fixing and ADF work is well worthwhile.

Barney_Gumble
15th May 2003, 19:09
Hi,

I purchased RANT last Friday afternoon, 9 May and so far I have been impressed, not least because the lady said she would process the order there and then and it arrived on my doorstep in Springfield from Witney the very next morning. You can purchase an extra procedures library at a cost of £9.99. When I placed my order I discussed this library with Oddsoft and decided that I didn’t need it just yet, purely because as I don’t know what they are just yet so I need to do some training and perhaps later I will purchase that CD. The lady on the telephone thought that was a good approach; I was never pressured into buying this add-on.

Initially I set up my aircraft (C172) nav fit and the startup defaults. This was quite intuitive so no problems there. I then started with the radial intersection tutorial and found it reasonably easy to understand.

I have logged about 15 hours on the exercises and practice tool so far and have managed to crack VOR radial intersection at all angles from 30 degrees through to 90 degrees completing the anticipation and wind drift calculations in my head and of course the aircraft symbol invisible.

I am just moving on to radial intersection where there is no CDI or DME information and am stuck there with initial orientation of the aircraft with the NDB.

I am planning to undertake IMC training in the autumn and hope to have reached a theoretical level of understanding in order that I may use my time in the air for maximum value.

I would say it is a very worthwhile product.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~derek/proon/cat.gif

magneticflip1
16th May 2003, 16:12
Thanks gents for your replies. I think I'll buy it!

Does anyone know wheres the cheapest place to buy it?? Somewhere I saw offered it for £85!