PDA

View Full Version : LTN to handle 8.2m pax in 2004

Powerjet1
13th May 2003, 22:27
Heard from a reliable source that LTN is expected to handle 8.3m pax in 2004.For reasons of confidentiality, no specific subject matters were given to support this claim, other than on-going negotiations. This would be about a 27% increase based on Dec 2002 annual figures. Certainly a fairly hefty increase.

I suppose if you assume the odd new easy route being added plus the operations of NOW, once they get airbourne, it does become a bit more believable. Also there is the on-going rumour of Ryan increasing services from Oct/Nov by either adding flights from existing continental bases or actually basing a couple of aircraft here in addition to the 737-200 which operates the DUB route. If that happened, the figure mentioned may even be a 'conservative'one.

Also, is there any truth in the rumour that the first floor of the terminal will be coming into use from March 2004 to help cope with the expected increase in pax.

Anyone out there know anything more specific.

Buster the Bear
13th May 2003, 23:32
Not too sure about the numbers of extra passengers, but certainly one could expect to see one scheduled airline already using Luton to announce a major increase in its base size for this coming winter?

Powerjet1
14th May 2003, 01:02
And we've got a pretty good idea who tha t could be now following certain events

Powerjet1
14th May 2003, 14:57
Prov CAA figures show an 18.4% increase in April pax to 540,053 over April 2002, although this figure is probably distorted because of Easter. Perhaps 8.3m pax for 2004 is fairly achievable.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
14th May 2003, 19:01
Well I for one hope that they do achieve the projected numbers in 2004, but as discussed on the SkyEurope thread, TBI are proving to be unsuccessful in luring any new airlines to Luton - particularly those based in mainland Europe.

SkyEurope, Flying Finn and Norwegian Shuttle have all opted for Stansted over Luton in recent weeks.

LTN man
14th May 2003, 22:42
Extract from a LLA planning and development report dated March 2003

2.1 In accordance with the 1998 Planning Consent, consideration is currently being given to the construction of the pier that could service at all levels both the east and north aprons. This would involve the fitting out of at least part of the first floor of the terminal and creating a first floor link between the two terminal buildings, as envisaged within the existing planning approval. The opportunity may also be taken to improve the internal layout of the terminal building to assist in passenger circulation and operational flows for enhanced customer service.

2.2 However, to meet the increased requirements of the statutory bodies, primarily UK Immigration and the police, for additional space for security and other operational purposes, in association with the above works, a planning application has been made to provide a new “immigration hall” with ancillary accommodation. This structure would be single storey in nature and sited adjacent to the northern end of the terminal, linked into the walkways. None of these works will add to the “capacity” of the airport, but are designed to satisfy operational needs fro all parties concerned.

Now I would have thought the best time to have built a pier would have been before the new North Apron opened and before the Northern Taxiway opens. Construction will now have to be done airside.

Buster the Bear
14th May 2003, 23:26
Well Mr Olney 1 BRAVO you missed out BasiqAir!

Pity that Ryanair's publicity stunt with a tank yesterday did not translate into a large base at Luton being announced to really compete with easyJet on fares locally.

The slogan on the tank was "Fare Buster", nothing to do with me however!!!!!!!!

brabazon
14th May 2003, 23:38
Any pics of the tank anyone?

Would this not be perceived as a security risk in the current circumstances?

Not sure why MOL thinks he needs to get on his tank now though.

25minutes
15th May 2003, 00:28
LLA security, did prevent it getting any further than, the holiday inn, shame the irish did,nt condider this. Driving a tank on to an airport approach in the present climate...well thought out Micheal..to be sure!

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
15th May 2003, 19:37
Buster - yes I left out Basiq Air .. on purpose.

Given the existing dominance of easyJet on the Amsterdam route out of Luton, and nobody operating Stansted - Amsterdam following the take over of Buzz by Ryanair, it was a dead cert that the KLM Group would "reactivate" the route! I very much doubt if operating out of Luton was even considered.

PAXboy
16th May 2003, 07:40
SkyEurope, Flying Finn and Norwegian Shuttle have all opted for Stansted over Luton in recent weeks. Hhmmm, interesting thought. Makes me wonder - why STN is more popular than my local?

Off the top of my head:
1) Access to London. LTN is still living with the history of difficult access to London. It may take longer for people to wake up to the new railway station and coach services.

2) STN 'looks' like a big airport. It is bigger, of course, but LTN looks very much like a regional and it's physical location on the hill makes it difficult to get everyone and everything into and out of it.

3) They have reached critical mass, I suspect. Where the fact that they have so many routes, means that they will get so many more routes. Now that they will get a second runway - that will reassure carriers for future flexiblity.

For my part, I don't mind, the place is quite busy enough! But it is irritating that Stanstead gains so many more routes. :ugh:

Powerjet1
16th May 2003, 14:08
Access to London is pretty good with coaches every 20 mins, trains eveyy 15 mins, 2 miles from junction 10(M1). Admittedly the M1 is prone to clogging up in the rush hour etc. Coach/train/road northbound to the Midlands & beyond - good. Biggest problem is east/west access which is very poor and needs a good, fast link to the A1.

Routes attract more routes by their very nature. While LCCs are point to point, attracting pax in its catchment area to foreign destinations, if an airport has many routes, its obviously becomes much more attractive to punters further afield.. Take for example, the new services by Flying Finn. A punter flying from Helsinki into Stansted for London, also has the option of a multitude of onward destinations in France, Germany and Italy etc because of the likes of Ryan. It becomes a hub for LCCs. OK, they have to collect their baggage and check- in again but its another attractive option. Ryan have contributed in a massive way to the success of STN.

It should also be remembered that STN is some 40 miles to the east of LTN and for carriers from central and eastern Europe that cuts a few minutes of the flight time, less fuel etc.

As for size, 'size matters'. Luton will have to offer something pretty special to attact more LCCs as opposed to them choosing STN.

One thing though, because of its relative compactness, many punters love the speedy transfer from car/coach - check -in - departures - plane. Compared to all other London airports, barring City, LTN wins hands down.

Powerjet1
9th Sep 2003, 17:27
Apparently several `announcements`concerning new routes and airlines are expected to be made by the airport over the next few weeks, running up to Xmas. With easy already stating they intend to expand at LTN, Volareweb with flights to Italy, Now(hopefully) plus others, the figure for pax in 2004 seems a real reality and not pie in the sky. Good for everyone concerned.

LGS6753
10th Sep 2003, 03:33
First the opening of the second level of the terminal. I understand work is due to start shortly on a number of associated projects - increasing the size of the arrivals hall, constructing a walkway from the old terminal (airside) to the upper level of the new terminal, and then the construction of the pier between the east apron and the new north apron (which will be 4 floors high). This will result in the opening up of at least part of the upper floor of the new terminal.

Second, Stansted. It's in the depths of east anglia with a smaller catchment area, and far worse surface links. But it does have one major advantage. It is owned by BAA. If you are planning London flights, who do you talk to? First stop BAA. Their marketing department has three choices to sell you, and you pick the cheapest, nearest and least slot-restricted i.e. STN. You probably don't even look further.
But if you do, BAA get upset and offer their well-known predatory pricing to help them pay off the massive costs of building STN.

For those who talk to Luton, they are given the impression (who by?) that LTN is a leisure airport. That's the reason Sky Europe went to STN. Of course it WAS true in the 70s, but now the situation is probably reversed.

Volareweb chose LTN because of slot availability (I hear). That story should become more and more important as FR and the rest pack STN at peak times, making LTN more interesting. To say nothing of its (smaller) layout, better communications, larger workforce and better catchment area.

FLYMATE
10th Sep 2003, 03:57
With Now Airlines starting up at Luton soon, it will be interesting who out of these minor players will survive.

Buster the Bear
10th Sep 2003, 03:58
Oh dear, a leisure airport, just count the suits at check-in!

TBI really do need me to market thier flagship!

Plenty of airport capacity, but the airspace surrounding is 'creaking' already! SkyEurope would have to fly through Stansted airspace to land at Luton, time is money as they say, but if this airline thought Luton was a bucket and spade aerodrome, then did FlyingFinn, Norwegian, Basiqair get the same feedback.......need I say more? I naturally put it down to predatory pricing. Actually, could the Govt giving up its GOLDEN share in the BAA as announced recently have anything to do with a certain Italian lo-co leaving Gatter's for "The Town"?

The Luton airport catchment area is massive and not all customers want to fly away on a break or a holiday, quite a number have business to do.

Anyway, what do bears know? (Well I was first here with the news of Volareweb)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This news might filter onto the airport web site and local media eventually? Volareeeeeee!

LTNman
10th Sep 2003, 05:14
I wonder if TBI will put in a staircase up to the first floor from the check-in hall as a short cut to the new pier and new airside lounge. What could be a 20 second stroll excluding security checks will be a 5-minute walk, as passengers will have to walk to the far end of the old terminal only to walk all the way back via a walkway. This could be all part of TBI’s plan to give Luton that big airport feeling.:D :D :D

Anyone noticed how dark the check-in area is becoming. A quick look up at the ceiling reveals up to 40% of the light bulbs in some areas are busted. Anyone coming to Luton is recommended to bring a torch! :sad: :sad: :sad: