PDA

View Full Version : books books books

gliderman69
13th May 2003, 20:32
Hi one and all

Have any of you bought any of the books that are available on becoming a commercial pilot? All written by ex BA etc pilots themselves and claiming to answer all your questions about which route to take etc.

Are any of the out there any good?

I tend not to believe the web site testimonials.

Mr B from Newport said "this book changed my life after reading it and implementing the advice I had over 50 offers from Airlines around the world and was able to pick the best of the crop"

Blah blah blah

So any decent books out there or should I just keep to reading this site?

Gliderman

df1
14th May 2003, 03:04
No, I haven't got any of the books, byt I did go and see certain recruitment consultant. He offered some interesting advice and tailored a training plan to me.

How is it going? Well, my bank manager laughed, suggested other types of career. I therefore went overseas. but if you have a spare wedge then it might be worth checking this guy out to see what he has to say. He is a BA 744 pilot!

carbonfibre
15th May 2003, 22:18
Hi Gliderman,

Read your other question too, im 36 and started for my ATPL writtens 2 years ago, got my CPL and now about to start my IR.

The only advice i can give you is to speak to someone who wants nothing from you, i.e. go speak to a PPL career school who does not practice commercial training and speak to one of the instructors and better still someone who has recently become an instructor, they are probably in the best position to tell you about there mistakes, the pitfalls and most importantly the hidden costs that they forget to mention when you sign up.

Dont get mewrong, generally most schools are not out to take extra money off you, but there is always something else that crops up, increase in CAA fees, 170a's, cost of ground exams, re takes etc etc etc

Also do not take everyones word that this school is better than that school, as you will find out , people like different schools for diferent reasons, we are all different, some like the more military style some dont, but visiting them is a must!!

If you want any other information send me a private message see if i can help

Good luck

:ok: :ok: :ok:

JohnnyPharm
16th May 2003, 04:08
Is the book you got the 02FO book? I got it and thought it was really cool. Some of the motivational stuff was ace. The only thing I didn't like is the money making "scams" (just kidding) at the back like the professional betting and selling bubble gum machines, but on the whole I thought it was a good book.