PDA

View Full Version : VFR Nav tips for CPL skills?

magneticflip1
12th May 2003, 19:41
Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone got any useful tips for VFR Nav, such as an easy way to estimate GS (within 2 mins) and calculation of ETAs, without using loads of maths?

Are whizz wheels allowed on the CPL skills?

cheers

mad_jock
12th May 2003, 19:53
I managed to get away with normal preplanning then updating the ETA at the half way point.

Did the CPL in a twin so usually set the thing up so we were crusing at 120knts so that made life easy.

Another trick i have seen people use is they stick a thin strip on their rule with times instead of distances +- 10 knts around cruise speed.

MJ

magneticflip1
12th May 2003, 20:12
Thanks mad jock. But are such rulers allowed??

expedite_climb
12th May 2003, 21:42
Why not just remember the length of you thumb in time not distance ??

I always used my thumb was 10 nm, but you can convert that to a time and bobs your uncle. (Well he's not actually but there you go...)

mad_jock
12th May 2003, 23:00
I don't think they are banned, I could never be bothered fannying around with squares and rulers. Line on the chart, estimate the angle by eye or using a VOR rose, fudge in a bit of wind. Then measure using my thumb, thumb equals 5mins at 120 knots etc on a half mil chart, then fudge in the wind again,. Then sort the whole lot out at the half way point unless totally off track at the first position fix or about to bust controlled airspace

And remmeber always do a FREDA check before turning onto your new heading sods law states that your DI will go out just before you turn onto your new heading and make sorting yourself out at the half way point a bitch.

MJ