PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old?

tunalic2
10th May 2003, 09:21
Is there such a thing as too old to earn a living as an ATPL?

where can I find ballpark figures for realistic salaries?

Does it really cost £70,000?

TC

Pilot Pete
11th May 2003, 05:48
Yes,

Beyond retirement age! But seriously, I guess you mean to start training for an ATPL. Well, technically no, but you have to consider your chances of success at landing a job and assess the degree of ageism that occurs within the airlines. I would say once beyond the age of 35 with little or no experience you may find it difficult to get a 'jet job' straight off, but let's face it who isn't finding that difficult at the moment? Consider all options, i have said it before that with the right marketing (and when the market picks up) I think age can be a selling point for turbo-prop operators if you state your intention to remain with them and not jump ship for the first jet job that comes along. Mind you, I would also add that everybody tells the TP operators that they are goin g to stay with them when they are in the interview! Key is convincing them that you are.

For salaries look in Terms and Endearment forum or join BALPA or The IPA who publish salary tables and who certainly used to do trainee membership for nothing.

Fully integrated training must be somewhere in the region of £70k now, it was about £55k under the old system when I trained back in 1997/8.

Good luck

PP