PDA

View Full Version : Might be some truth in it.

AOG-YYZ
10th May 2003, 07:36
I have heard a rumour, from a number of sources this week, that Air Canada will use 'Tango' to fly to Britain this coming summer, but not to London. They are negotiating routes to a northern English and a Scottish airport, other than MAN and GLA. This would only make sense if they (AC) ceased operations by the parent carrier into both these airports.
Has anyone else heard this rumour?

Deeko01
10th May 2003, 10:45
Haven't heard that one but why not. l presume they would need something bigger than a A320 to do it. MYT, ACA and TSC all operate into GLA from YYZ so there must be a market for that route, even heard once upon a time BMI applying to operate that route but l dont know if that was for a star alliance agreement with Air Canada?

nef
10th May 2003, 19:26
AOG-YYZ

Sorry to misunderstand you, but do you mean that AC are going to switch their MAN and GLA services to Tango, or do you mean AC are going to ditch MAN and GLA altogether and fly from different airports in N. England/Scotland (Perhaps PIK/EDI in Scotland for instance), using tango?

BAe 146-100
10th May 2003, 20:00
Hi,

Skyservice are expected to start their new twice weekly scheduled services from Manchester to Toronto with A-320 aircraft on 22nd June.

Regards
BAe 146-100

U/S President
10th May 2003, 20:33
I assume Manchester-Toronto on an A320 will have a tech stop at Kangerlussuaq, Gander or Halifax?

2,993 nm is pushing it a bit non-stop:

Airbus A320 Performance Charts (http://www.airbus.com/product/a320_performance.asp)

AOG-YYZ
10th May 2003, 23:00
They will pull the Air Canada service from both GLA & MAN. 'Tango' will fly 767 aircraft that are presently leased to AC from GE Financial. The 'Tango' service will replace the existing YYZ-GLA-MAN service.

Apparently drastic measures are needed to succesfully restructure this carrier and as both the YYZ-GLA and YYZ-MAN are "mother and daughter" routes the yeilds would be greater if 'Tango' flew them, but, into lower cost airports. Unless it is a ploy to get GLA and MAN to lower their fees. Who knows?

Ringwayman
10th May 2003, 23:05
Yet I am led to believe that the Tango brand will be disappearing according to 1 Canadian newspaper :confused:

And yes, MAN has reduced it's fees yet again; perhaps they can schedule the service into the "extra cheap" period.

Joe Curry
11th May 2003, 00:51
>Unless it is a ploy to get GLA and MAN to lower their fees. Who knows?<

I doubt MAN services can be ignored...but on the Scottish front
EDI handles nearly 99% of Scotland's mail traffic.

AC rely heavily on the mail contract over the GLA route but
perhaps the powers-that-be wish the mail to be flown direct to Scotland's main mail airport.?;)

Sheep fancier
11th May 2003, 01:11
>AC rely heavily on the mail contract over the GLA route but
>perhaps the powers-that-be wish the mail to be flown direct to >Scotland's main mail airport.?

Never heard such claptrap, what happens to this mail when ACA are not operating the YYZ-GLA-MAN route November-April (the Xmas period presumably the busiest time of year for mail)?
Maybe you could quote a source re "AC rely heavily on the mail contract over the GLA route......?"

SF

GustyOrange
11th May 2003, 02:27
I agree SF.

I only read his posts if I feel in need of some cheering up, they sure as hell make me laugh.

Why on earth would 99% of Scotland's mail be shipped through the country's second largest city ??

Gusty

Caslance
11th May 2003, 02:32
AOG-YYZ: Is this from the same source that led you to believe that AC were switching to A330 equipment on the GLA route last summer?

Wee Joe: Mere words alone do not suffice!:rolleyes:

CHIVILCOY
11th May 2003, 06:28
I think this is another case of you've been tangoed!!!!;) I have a ticket from Air Canada for a flight in July out of Glasgow to Toronto on AC843 on a 767.

Joe Curry
11th May 2003, 18:20
>Why on earth would 99% of Scotland's mail be shipped through the country's second largest city ??<

The figures are CAA's/BAA's, not mine. :*

Caslance
11th May 2003, 18:49
That wasn't what people were commenting on Joe - as you know fine well.

It was your risible assertion that: AC rely heavily on the mail contract over the GLA route.
In the words of Mr J McEnroe: "You CANNOT be SERIOUS!!!!!" :rolleyes:

AOG-YYZ
12th May 2003, 03:24
Caslance in case you hadn't noticed: Air Canada has since filed for bankruptcy protection under the 'CCAA' provisions of Canadian law. This is similar to the US "Chapter Eleven" law. They (AC) have also laid off a number of employees, both management and contract and cut back on a number of routes and eliminated some routes altogether, switched equipement on yet others and abandoned most, if not all, of their planned expansion routes.

Joe Curry
12th May 2003, 13:03
>Why on earth would 99% of Scotland's mail be shipped through the country's second largest city ??<

CAA 2002 figures:

Air Mail.
EDI : 32,126 tonnes 97.18%) Up 1.31%
GLA : 895 tonnes (2.71%) Down 1.42%
PIK : 36 tonnes (0.11%) Up 0.11%

I did say 99%, perhaps 2003 figures might prove that
correct?