PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Start from scratch...

paulrod87
10th May 2003, 04:40
I am reaching 34 yo. and have this boiling passion for flying. I am now seriously thinking in stepping into the Commercial Pilot Licence. some of my friends say "you're too old!", others "go on mate!". So... what's your advice. :)

Pilot Pete
10th May 2003, 05:18
Paul,

A quick search on the words 'too old?' will provide you with some inspiration from the past. Plenty have trodden the commercial pilot road at your age.

Do go into it with your eyes open. As I am sure you are aware now is a very bad time to be trying to get that first elusive job. Having said that, it will take you at least 2 years to be looking for your first job and things can change. I doubt very much that it will be easy by then, far from it, it never really has been truly easy to get the first break.

Cost is another factor not to be taken lightly. If you don't get sponsorship (sorry mate but you really are too old for that!) then you will have to shell out for the training yourself. I'm a bit out of the training cost loop these days but it must be £65k plus by now to get from nothing to frozen ATPL. Somebody more up to date will point you to the correct figure.

The other is considering what you are giving up for the 'dream' which has no guarantees. Many have given good advice on these hallowed pages about not giving up the day job whilst training. I would certainly advocate this during the current hard times. The big point for me would be to keep an option open for alternative means. The training is expensive and just living day to day adds significantly to the overall costs, add that to loss of potential earnings should you chuck it all in and go full time and you can see just how deep water you will be putting yourself into.

It's down to individual circumstances what suits best. Some could not go self improver and need the full time course to sut their style. Others can be very resourceful and pass everything whilst keeping up the day job.

I wish you well with whatever you choose.

PP