PDA

View Full Version : New Pilots Security Checks

prat100_2000
8th May 2003, 21:32
I have been informed that the CAA now requires police checks to be done on all commercial pilots. I understand there to be a list of curtain areas that they need to know about. Terrorist convictions probably. As a potential commercial pilot I recently picked up a police caution(not terrorist related obviously) which I understand not to be a conviction. I trust this act of stupidity will not bar me from passing this new certification. Does anybody know where I can check this or does anybody know the answer.

Yours rather stupid boy

tom775257
8th May 2003, 23:48
Apparently the CID checks out PPLs also. I was interested a while back about PPL’s getting airside access without background checks, I spoke to the owner of the flight school I fly from, he suggested that the police ‘request’ (read: require) a list of pilots at the club. I am sorry I can’t help you with your question, however it would seem illogical if a caution prohibits you from a CPL, unless perhaps it was drug related.

Notso Fantastic
9th May 2003, 00:17
Lifted from the private BALPA and not attributed as the original contributor would probably not like his name bandied about! So check this lot against your record and let's all pray for protection from Politicians and Civil Servant jobsworths:

OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON
Speeding in expensive German automobiles

Offences against the Person Act 1861

Child Abduction Act 1984

Administering chloroform

Administering poison so as to endanger life

Administering poison

Assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Attempting to choke

Causing bodily injury by explosives

Child Abduction

Child destruction

Cruelty to person under 16

Endangering safety of railway passengers

False imprisonment

Ill treatment of mental patients

Kidnapping

Manslaughter

Murder

Attempted Murder

Sending explosive substance with intent

Soliciting to murder

Threats to kill

Unlawful wounding/inflicting grievous bodily harm

Wounding/causing grievous bodily harm with intent

2. THEFT

Theft Acts 1968 and 1978

Aggravated burglary

Aggravated vehicle taking

Assault with intent to rob

Blackmail

Burglary (entering and stealing etc)

Burglary (entering with intent)

Company director publishing false statement

Destroying a will

Dishonestly destroying, defacing or concealing a document

Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit

Dishonest representation for obtaining benefit etc

Driving conveyance taken without authority

Evasion of liability by deception

False accounting (making false entry etc)

False accounting (omission of material particular)

False accounting (furnishing false information)

Going equipped for burglary etc

Handling stolen goods (receiving)

Handling stolen goods (undertaking or assisting the retention etc)

Making off without payment

Obtaining a money transfer by deception

Obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception

Obtaining property by deception

Obtaining services by deception

Procuring the execution of a valuable security by deception

Removing article from place open to public

Robbery

Taking conveyance without authority

Theft (from a person, a dwelling, automatic machine or meter, from mail, by an employee, from shop, from or of a vehicle)

3. SEXUAL OFFENCES

Sexual Offences Acts 1956 to 1992

Abduction of unmarried girl under 16 from parent or guardian

Abduction of unmarried girl under 18 from parent or guardian

Abduction of woman by force or for sake of her property

Assault with intent to commit *******

Detention of woman against her will for unlawful sexual intercourse (or in a brothel)

Incest by a man

Incest by a woman

Indecency with a child

Indecent assault on a female

Indecent assault on a male

Living on earnings of prostitution

Procuration of intercourse by false pretences

Procuration of woman to become prostitute

Attempted Rape

Rape

4. HARMFUL OR DANGEROUS DRUGS

Misuse of Drugs Act 1971

Misuse of Drugs Regulations 1985

The CriminalJustice Act 1990

Drug Trafficking Act 1994

Being concerned in production of a controlled drug

Being concerned in supply of a controlled drug

Possessing a Class A controlled drug

Possessing a controlled drug with intent

Producing a controlled drug

Supplying a controlled drug

Concealing or transferring the proceeds of drug trafficking

Assisting another person to retain the benefit of drug trafficking

Acquisition, possession or use of proceeds of drug trafficking

Failure to disclose knowledge or suspicion of money laundering

5. CRIMINAL DAMAGE

Criminal Damage Act 1971

Destroying or damaging property (including Arson)

Threats to destroy or damage property

Possessing anything with intent to destroy or damage property

Explosive Substances Act 1883

Causing explosion likely to endanger life or property

Attempt to cause explosion, or making or keeping explosive with intent to endanger life or property

Conspiracy to cause an explosion

Making or possession of explosive

Burning, maiming, etc. by explosion

6. TERRORISM

Anti Terrorism Crime and Security Act 2001

Prevention of Terrorism Act 1989

7. AVIATION

Protection of Aircraft Act 1973

Aviation Security Act 1982 (as amended)

8. MARITIME

Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990

9. CHANNEL TUNNEL

Channel Tunnel Security Order 1994

10. RAILWAYS

Railways Act 1993

11. FIREARMS

Firearms Act 1968

The sale, acquisition and possession or carrying of firearms

Possessing firearm or imitation firearm at time of committing or being arrested for an offence specified in S1 of the Firearms Act

Possessing firearm or imitation firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence, or resist arrest, etc.

Possessing firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence

Non-compliance with condition of firearm certificate

Possession of a shotgun without a certificate

Trading in firearms without being registered as a firearms dealer

Selling firearm to person without a certificate

Repairing, testing, etc. firearm for person without a certificate

Falsifying certificate, etc with view to acquisition of firearm

Shortening a shotgun or other smooth bore gun

Possessing or distributing prohibited weapons or ammunition

Carrying loaded firearm in public place

Having small calibre pistol outside premises of licensed pistol club

Trespassing with firearms in a building

Possession of firearms by persons previously convicted of crime

Supplying firearms to persons denied them under S21 Firearms Act

12. IMMIGRATION

Immigration Act 1971

Assisting illegal entry and harbouring

Assisting entry of an asylum claimant

Carrying out arrangements for securing or facilitating the obtaining of leave to remain in the UK by means believing to include deception

13. EVASION OF LIABILITY

Customs and Excise Act 1979

Evasion of any duty chargeable on goods

Evasion of any provision of the Customs and Access Act applicable to goods

14. BOMB THREATS AND BOMB HOAXES

Criminal Law Act 1977

Criminal Law Act 1997

Placing or dispatching articles to cause bomb hoax

Communicating false information alleging the presence of bombs

15. OFFENSIVE WEAPONS

Prevention of Crime Act 1953

The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139 & s141)

The Offensive Weapons Act 1996

The Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959

The Knives Act 1997

Possession of offensive weapon (in a public place) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse

Having an article with a blade or point in a public place

Having an article with a blade or point on school premises

Manufacture and distribution of flick knives and gravity knives

(I added the speeding one)

prat100_2000
9th May 2003, 00:31
Thanks guys, I suppose I need to find out if a caution is counted...fingers crossed. I asked the Inspector at the time and he said it did not haveto be declared

Notso Fantastic
9th May 2003, 01:31
No- these are convictions. A 'caution' is not taken as proof that 'you done it!'

Yellow Sun
10th May 2003, 00:26
NotSoFantastic

No- these are convictions. A 'caution' is not taken as proof that 'you done it!'

In order to receive a police caution you have to have admitted the offence. That is the quid pro quo for the police taking no further action other than to warn with regard to your behaviour.

YS

Notso Fantastic
10th May 2003, 00:41
Point taken. But if they intend to deny me my opportunity to feed my family by removing my airside privileges, British aviation will be largely grounded as half the crews take the Government to Court under the Human Rights Act. I still think 'cautions' won't come into it at all.

HZ123
11th May 2003, 17:50
A very comphrehensive list. Cautions will feature for many i.e. Pete Townsend sorts, and there will be a number of existing avaition / airline / airport staff losing their jobs.

Many of them will not be going to the court of European rights as they will have failed to declare these convictions either on their original job application or during their employ. This may be covered under 'making a false statement to obtain a job' and then under staff regulations, doing something that will bring your company into disrepute. This will figure with regard to spent convictions as a failure to express may render the individual as subject to discipline and thus dismissal.

It is estimated that the industry might have to replace as much as 10% of staff. AT BAA airports the directive is for letters to go out in September allowing staff a six week reponse period to admit / acknowledge any of the above. Futhermore it is anticipated that numbers will leave rather than be outed.

Some companies may see the loss of staff as very timely. If there are any legal beagles on the forum what offences can you have committed and retain your employ as the list is so vast. By the way this format will probably be in place throughtout the European airports.

Hwel
12th May 2003, 04:58
My company all pilots have had a letter saying get a clearence in 6 weeks or you are fired. Is this common?:confused:

Captain Stable
12th May 2003, 16:52
Many years ago I received a conviction for possession of a shotgun without a certificate.

You may think that rules me out entirely.

What happened was that I already owned it, and a certificate, which expired without my noticing. After about a month, I realised, and took the shotgun to my local police station while I applied to have the certificate renewed.

No problem with either - but they took me to court, I paid a fine of £30 (no more than a slap on the wrist) and we all carried on as normal.

That was slightly more than a caution - but only slightly more. Hasn't ruled me out of a flying career.

No problem.

prat100_2000
12th May 2003, 21:26
it's getting a little clearer. Where could I find out the deffinative answer on the rules, the CAA, BAA or Balpa?

qwertyuiop
12th May 2003, 23:19
Are we living in a police state? Are there any driving offences that will put me on the dole?

maxy101
23rd May 2003, 15:44
The figures I was quoted at a management chat were 17 per cent of the UK population has a criminal record. The management were concerned if this was to be true in our company too. I) wouldn´t rely on common sense being applied here either, or some of our southern european cousins being as zealous either.....

mono
23rd May 2003, 23:17
The list refers to convictions NOT cautions, as determined in magistrates or crown court (in the UK). It does not include convictions classed as 'spent' under UK law.

So Capt Stable, if your conviction for possession of a shotgun without a licence occured such that it is not yet a 'spent' offence, you will indeed lose your entitlement to an airside pass, and as such potentialy your job!

There is an appeals proceedure and offences are considered spent according to the severity of the sentence, not the actual offence.

HZ123
24th May 2003, 02:52
But if you have gained employment in some cases and failed to declare offences / spent or otherwise you may be deemed to have gained employment by a deception.

Also if 'ditto the above circumstances' has occurred during your employ you will have failed to declare a change of circumstances or make be involved in something that may bring the company into disrepute. In most companies both of these instances = dismissal.

I heard that the Aviation Security Inspectorate or whatever their title is now, anticipated a loss of 10% of aviation folk holding airside access at passenger operating airports. I think this refers to the airport catergory but how does this effect ppl guys & girls.