PDA

View Full Version : Expected cost of zero to frozen ATPL

pittss2b
7th May 2003, 05:19
Ball park, what are the expected cost to go from zero to frozen ATPL these days?

Flypuppy
7th May 2003, 14:38
JAA Frozen ATPL:

Modular Route
PPL (in UK) Approx £ 4,000
Hour building (US/SA) Approx £ 3,000
ATPL Groundschool Approx £ 3,000 (inc exam fees)
CPL Approx £ 6500 (inc ME Rating and fees)
Instrument Rating Approx £ 14,000
Living Costs for 10 months £ 8-10,000
Total £ 38,500 - 40,500

All costs are approximate, best to add at least 20% to the total to take into account unforeseen circumstances (crap wx, resits etc etc)

Integrated Route
£ 55,000 - 75,000 at a guess.

Tinstaafl
7th May 2003, 21:46
I wonder if there would be much of a saving by doing as much as possible in the USA/Oz/NZ/SA?

I was thinking of the way an ICAO ATPL/IR holder converting to the JAR ATPL 'only' has to do 15 hrs min IR training. Are there equivalents for the other licence/rating levels?

Lots & lots of variations but, say, get a US PPL, CPL, IR & hour build, then back to UK for a conversion. Given the current US paranoia over all things aviation maybe only the PPL, IR & hour build to avoid the visa hassles?

I suppose you'd have to compare for each stage the airfare/accommodation/living expenses + training costs using whatever is a justifiable exchange rate

Just an idle thought...

mrbungle
8th May 2003, 09:26
Your looking at 150+ hours, not going for 20 squids an hour!!

I'd say plug a 1 in front of the £3,000 for hour building !!

Rich.

WX Man
12th May 2003, 00:40
What about the time frame?

I'm in the position that I'll need to do the ATPL exams (distance learning), Multi Engine CPL and IR.

I reckon £25K (excl. living costs) should cover it. I'm not afraid of spending that kind of money because I really want to do the job. Can't think of anything else I'd rather do.

(Well, I had a mate who was a Production Assistant for the Playboy Channel. That sounded like a good job, v. enjoyable, but not exactly a career).

Flypuppy
12th May 2003, 02:38
WX Man,

If you already have a PPL and don't need to build hours allow 6 months for the ground school if residential (possibly more if distance learning) and at least 4 months for the CPL & IR training.

Send Clowns
12th May 2003, 20:17
Tinstaafl

Only problem with that course is that many employers ask for an approved course, or else non-approved but with more hours (commonly at least 1000 for example BA City Express ask for this). A conversion from a US IR is not an approved course. This puts the student in the position of the old CAA "self-improver" but with fewer hours. The small saving in cost may not be worth it.

It also leaves a student with very little UK flying experience, also unpopular with some employers, and increasing likelihood of failing the CPL skills test or the IRT which reduces employment prospects (a first-time pass at IR is very helpful).