PDA

View Full Version : Type Ratings

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th May 2003, 04:32
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Just a quick question please.

I am currently half way through my ATPLS and the thought crossed my mind the other day, while sitting through an Instrument Auto Pilot lesson, of the subject of Type Rating courses and what exactly is involved? Firstly how long do they take? For example a 777 of 747-400? How much simulator time do you have allocated for the practical side? In terms of intensity, can you compare it to the content of what is taught in the ATPL syllabus, systems wise?

Thanks in advance to anyone who take time out to answer my questions :ok:

Leo8
8th May 2003, 22:33
I cant give you any info on the 777 or 747 type rating. However, the type rating for the ATR 42 lasted for 4 and a half weeks. One week systems, one week performance and two weeks in the simulator followed by a session of six circuits. The two weeks of ground school covered similar stuff done in the ATPL's but it was specific to the type. The two written exams were not as challenging as any of the ATPL's. The whole course was covered at a fairly slow pace and was a lot of fun. I believe there is a six week course for those that havent done an MCC course but I am not too sure about that! Good luck with the rest of your training.

Bradley

The Greaser
9th May 2003, 00:26
737 type rating was 4 weeks of intense ground school, 20 hours fixed base sim and 40 hours full motion sim. Bloody hard work. Total of about 2 and a half months.

topman999
9th May 2003, 00:40
The 744 appears the same to the 737 so ! Pilots on the 744 are required to perform at least 1 fully hands on landing on the 744 a month. Sim checks are twice annually. If U want any additional info, mail me

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th May 2003, 04:00
Thanks guys, looking forward to the day I am in the classroom doing my type rating course and getting my mits on the real thing!!

I. M. Esperto
10th May 2003, 01:31
Much depends on how well you progress. I got all my ratings at TWA. B-707, 720, 727, 747, 757, 767, and L-1011.

Generally it is 2 weeks ground school, then simulator with emphasis on preparing for the Oral (which sometimes turns into a rectal), then more simulator emphasis on approaches.

One day in the pattern on the real thing, more if you need it. One day for the FAA check.