PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Airport Runway 3 ?

jet_breeze
8th May 2003, 00:28
I'm not sure if this is true or not but i have heard from a few spotters at Manchester ( EGCC ) and they say Manchester has plans for yet another runway. Can anyone shed light on the topic ?

BillTheCoach
8th May 2003, 00:36
The only way this would ever happen is if MAplc buy Woodford before Jones Homes et al. get their hands on it and MAplc convince the Highways Agency that the Bramhall By Pass could be used as a "Toll Taxiway" (once the bridges have been removed of course).

Then Manchester could operate Woodford as a low cost airport called "Manchester South" or "Leeds/Bradford West".

Whoever set this rumour up needs their head examined - surely there is still excess capacity on Runway 2 and I can't see the good burghers of Wilsmlow, Mobberley etc being pleased about this.

jet_breeze
8th May 2003, 00:40
I can see the hippies campaigning now..:rolleyes: anyway its only a rumour so it'll probably fizzle out since they aren't operating at capacity. I'd say its Heathrow that needs the new runway right now. depending where they'd build Quarry bank mill is in the way as well.

PaperTiger
8th May 2003, 01:01
heard from a few spotters
Must be true then, after all they'd surely be the first to know. :hmm:

Wrong board for puerile speculation.

Scottie Dog
8th May 2003, 01:09
Hello BillTheCoach - nice to see you around again, it seems to have been a long time.

As I understand, MA plc are on public record as having stated that a 3rd runway may be required. This is in the same way as they have mooted the idea of a 4th terminal.

All of this is based upon long-term planning requirements and but does not mean that it will actually be built - or that it will be required.

It would be far cheaper to finish building the laxiway network for 24L and therefore get greater movements.

At the end of the day, the airport has at least said what 'might' be done.

Lets see what 'Ringwayman' has to say on the subject - his inside information normally seems to be fairly reliable, and I know he is not employed by the airport authority.

Cheers

Scottie Dog

ETOPS
8th May 2003, 01:15
Having actually seen the future plans for Manchester I think we had all better put our sensible heads on and try to keep calm.

The long term plan for expansion is projected well into the future and takes us upto the year 2050. Because of the planning laws in the UK are so strict and long winded, an airport like Manchester needs to "protect" it's ability to develop by buying land or filing outline proposals to ensure nobody builds, say, a hospital where a terminal might be needed in 30 years.

Thus there is an outline for "Runway 3" and "Terminal4" even though these might never be built or would be many years in the future. The runway site is parallel to the M56 motorway starting at the Romper Pub and Terminal 4 is to the south of Runway 2.

Remember that aviation isn't about to go away. Your childrens children will be passengers in the 22nd century - they won't want delays on their flights to the sun anymore than we do.........

Ringwayman
8th May 2003, 02:03
Someone's legs have been well and truly pulled!

Extract from .today's Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/stories/Detail_LinkStory=57935.html)

MANCHESTER Airport has built a third runway. But the eco-warriors who opposed the controversial second runway can relax.
Planes won't be taking off or landing on the new runway, which did not require diggers to remove huge swathes of Cheshire countryside.
That's because it's only 30 metres long.

It's at the Viewing Park.

David

Torquelink
8th May 2003, 17:46
At least there's one less objector!;

Today the protesting world is in mourning with the loss of 'Swampy' the eco warrior, runway and road protestor, who sadly passed away last night from acute angina, brought on by high cholesterol levels.

A spokesman for the hospital commented "we could have saved him, but he wouldnt let us put a by-pass in"

bagpuss lives
9th May 2003, 01:47
You are Ken Dodd and I claim my £5 :D

In trim
10th May 2003, 23:17
I knew a girl with a cute angina once. She was great.

:)

BillTheCoach
12th May 2003, 10:43
Scottie,

Have never been away (despite the rumour prevalent that urs truly now lives in a villa in the Caribbean) just been mega busy as usual.

Oh well must get on with gathering the troops for the forthcoming festivities on 28th May.

At this time spare a thought for the good citizens of Stretford - EUFA circus on 28th followed by Bruce Springstein the following day.

I'm surprised that someone in Trafford Council is not seeking Tourist Development Grants or that the British Tourist Authority will list Stretford as Britain's 3rd biggest tourist attraction !