PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Airlines Low Cost Airline in the USA

747Dryvr
7th May 2003, 10:06
I have read that Branson wants to start a low cost airline real soon here going east to west coast. Has anyone heard anything about this and if so are US pilots going have an opportunity to fly for them. If so how can we apply they would be a hell of an airline to fly for seems as if the crews have a good time aroundn the world..

Ozzy
7th May 2003, 10:49
747Dryvr if he can replicate his success in selling Virgin Mobile here in the US I hope he will give the travelling public here a great alternative airline. Seems he pisses off the airline "establishment" in the UK with his publicity plans, but here, I think it works.

All the best mate

Ozzy

Johnny 7
7th May 2003, 11:49
Heard an interview with Branson on NPR (U.S. current affairs radio) last week I think. Interestingly, it followed a discussion about the situation at AA, with Sir Richard basically promoting plans for a "VS US" to take a share if & when the "dinosaurs" declare bancrupty. 51% U.S. shareholding but with the characteristic Virgin branding & service - worth watching.

Airbubba
7th May 2003, 11:55
Yep, been tried many times over the years without much luck. We wish him well in his future endeavors...

alexb757
10th May 2003, 01:17
Actually this was first reported in London's Sunday Telegraph back in March. At that time, it was merely a feasability study and yes, he has tried this kind of thing before.
The problem (for him) has always been that of foreign ownership/equity in a US carrier. Recently, and for various reasons, there seems to be a calling for a relaxation of these rules. If indeed this does get off the ground, one assumes that the aircraft will be on the US register and operating from US airports. As such, I would think that any openings would naturally go to US pilots and those that have the right to live/work in the US legally.
As for buying in to AA or any other ailing US carrier, that is highly unlikely. Look @ his track record. He may have marketing agreements with other airlines but when Branson starts up a new venture, he usually goes it alone - Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Express & the highly successful Australian Virgin Blue.
I have no idea where this plan is right now (if anyone has any VS buddies out there, they would be a good source) but the article suggested operations as early as end of 2003 if all went well.
One thing is for sure. It would be a real interesting and bold venture and perhaps what the US airline industry needs - something very different and the Virgin brand name is well known for quality, innovation and value for money. So...who knows?
:hmm:

bigbeerbelly
10th May 2003, 02:01
Well, since this is the rumour network let me add fuel to the fire. ACA ( www.atlanticcoast.com ) operating out of Washington-Dulles airport has recently appointed the founding CEO of Airbus Finance Company William Anthony Rice to its board of directors. In another interesting move, they paid Delta airlines $1 million to remove all restrictions from the ACJet operating certificate which was used to get the Delta Connection deal up and running. Also, because an unused certificate can be revoked by the DOT, they filed a petition to extend the life of the ACjet certificate until July 2004 because they have a plan to start flying under that certificate for another unnamed airline. Branson already has a relationship with the CEO of ACA Kerry Skeen because he was seen at the ACA headquarters when they became a connection partner for Virgin Atlantic. Only time will tell :E ...

BBB

AA717driver
10th May 2003, 02:53
I know VS pays less than BA, how does Virgin Blue pay? I assume it is a good place to work?TC

ATPMBA
10th May 2003, 22:10
Branson may need a U.S. partner as the U.S. laws covering foreign ownership of an airline or air taxi company limits the foreign interest to 30%, 70% of the company must be held by U.S. citizens. This is more restrictive than the U.K. requirements that state that British citizens need to hold 50% of the stock plus one share.

Perhaps GWB, may make a rule change to accommodate the Brit’s as they are in a unique club as being one of the U.S.’s few allies as we recently found out.

Is it true the Branson only has a ninth grade education? If it’s true it wouldn’t surprise me as I have noticed that many people who make a lot of money have a limited education, ex. Bill Gates is a college dropout.

alexb757
11th May 2003, 04:33
9th grade education? Not quite. He actually completed a single GCE (General Certificate of Education) in Ancient History at a public (in the US: a private) school in Buckinghamshire in 1967. In short, he completed his high school equivalent education but did not go on to university. He was far too busy with the Student magazine which is what lauched him into the business world and starting the Virgin empire.
Interestingly, when he left school at age 17, his headmaster's parting words "Congratulations, Branson. I predict you will either go to prison or become a millionaire" seems to have spurred him from a rather insignificant schoolboy prankster into the unconventional, fun-loving, but highly successful entrepreneur that he is today.
:D

Woodman
12th May 2003, 17:16
I was at a function where Branson was speaking a week or so ago. He said that he is fed up with the restrictive ownership laws in the US and is going ahead with a US airline that would be flying within six months. He also said that he was involved in the early days of Jet Blue and that would have been Virgin Blue if the ownership laws hadn't kicked in.

PAXboy
12th May 2003, 21:01
Another man who did not have a university education was Sir Winston Churchill. One of the advantages of dropping out of the system is that you are not afraid of the system. You have not learnt the 'correct' way to do things. You then do them another way and beat the system!

For those in America who would like to find out more about this man who:- started selling a student magazine and then buying records wholesale and selling them - using a payphone kiosk in the street because of the difficult of getting a fixed phone in those days - then there are a few books.

Autobiography: Losing my Virginity

Biograpy: The Virgin King by Tim Jackson

Biography: Branson by Tom Bower

The story of what BA did to VS: Dirty Tricks: British Airways' Secret War Against Virgin Atlantic by Martyn Gregory.

To understand why he hates the big boys in the airline biz, remember that Branson's hero is Sir Freddie Laker.

Listings from Amazon.co.uk but doubtless available on Amazon.com as well.

alexb757
13th May 2003, 01:54
Branson the Man

Woodman

You are correct, Branson was involved with the initial set up of Jet Blue but those ownership laws got in the way & of course, David Neeleman, finally got it off the ground. JB is one of only two US carriers that have weathered all the economic & other woes in this industry the past two to three years. Must be doing something right! :D

It would be really great if Sir Richard could swing it this time. We need something different here in the US & Branson could be the one to do it.

Paxman

You too, are correct.
I highly recommend thhe autobiography "Losing My Virginity". Branson has not always had it easy & in the early days of VS, ther were several occasions when the bankers were ready to pull the plug on him financially. Somehow, he always managed to survive. Perhaps because the Virgin empire was so diversified and any expansion was realatively slow in coming. Plus, of course, he surrounded himself with people who had experience not only in the airline business but also the business world. And, Sir Freddie Laker is indeed, his hero. Much of what Branson has done, is trying to do, is modelled after another aviation pioneer.
I guess all we can do is to watch the media & see what happens; after all, Branson is pretty well-known for his PR stunts.
I'll bet that something will come of this by the end of this year.
:ok:

AH