PDA

View Full Version : AIR2000 Image - What is going on?

Thunderbird One
7th May 2003, 08:40
What's going on at AIR2000?. When they first launched the company they made such an impact to be the airline of the future, the image was fab and they were the envy of all the charters. How marketing can make a difference!

I'm sorry but the whole image has gone so Girly and pink! How are Male Cabin Crew supposed to wear pink and feel comfortable? Also the big pink flower on the tail of the A/C a bit embarrasing for the pilots to think you are flying this around the skies.

Was the person who came up with this image on acid or is it some aging old camp queen who is now office bound. I know times are bad within the airline industry but there's no need to make it worse.

kinsman
7th May 2003, 16:10
Too be honest the only good new paint job I have seen is TC's which is one of the best I have seen. No I don't work for them! The worst paint job is a tie between Brit’s and my own employer! I do like the new Brits CC uniform though very stylish.

This really is a no news day!

mcrit
7th May 2003, 16:27
The amazing thing is that TC has gone from one of the worst paint jobs to one of the best and Brits has gone the other way.

The CC uniform in TC is also now very smart. ( comes from Lufthansa ) I saw the A2000 CC uniform yesterday for the first time and would have to agree with the original post.

expedite_climb
7th May 2003, 16:54
Saw a few AMM girls on sunday, and felt sooo sorry. I just couldnt stop smiling tho.... ;) ;)

Colonel Klink
7th May 2003, 19:12
Yes, I saw it and it is revolting. Can't quite understand why they would repaint the aircraft either, the previous paint scheme was colorful and abstract, but did it's job well.To me, the colors were everything that a holidaymaker thinks of: sun, sand, sea and lovely blue skies. The turquoise is insipid and the flower on the tail is,............ what? The new TC livery is lovely. Well done and nice to see the green finally go.

Speedmaster
7th May 2003, 19:17
I saw some Monarch cabin crew yesterday and they seem to have a new uniform (used to be yellow and black?) and it looks nice apart from a strange furry hat they seem to wear.

I do like the SAS uniform though

jmccrew
7th May 2003, 19:49
when I 1st saw Air2000 livery I too thought it was a flower on the tail ,but I have since been told its a starfish not sure which is true :confused:

flapsforty
7th May 2003, 20:06
Sounds kinda nice, all that pink. ;)
Anyone gotta link to a piccie of what the new uniforms/livery looks like?

And seriously, TB1, like you I don't envy the male FAs having to walk around in pink. :suspect: How serious will pasengers take these poor lads?¨

brakedwell
7th May 2003, 20:31
Is it the size twelve boots you like, or the desert coloured body armour?

Ms Spurtle
7th May 2003, 20:33
It IS a starfish, not a flower.

Just another airline branded as part of a holiday compnay I'm afraid. The starfish is part of the First Choice logo.

Just like Britannia having the smiley blobby thngy.

Thunderbird One
7th May 2003, 20:34
I saw a few Air2000 female Cabin Crew walking out to the aircraft the other day in their pink suits and they looked nice. Got down route and saw a hostie stood on the back steps in her skirt and blouse - the blouse is a bit hysterical. I honestly don't know what I'd do if my company came up with a colour like pink for a male to wear. I would HONESTLY have to consider resigning.
Can they take this to the union? It must be awful for the guys and the person that came up with the idea needs sacking!

GrantT
7th May 2003, 20:55
"Can they take this to the union?"

I doubt it, its the uniform they are given and its the uniform they will wear to represent Air 2000, simple. If any FA doesn't like it, i guess thats tough. :rolleyes:

GK430
7th May 2003, 21:52
They're no longer "Jetsetters", they're on board the STARFISH ENTERPRISE
;)

moggie
7th May 2003, 23:06
In view of the stereotyped image of male cabin crew and the pink uniforms, I have to say that the choice of a Starfish (thankfully not brown!) is somewhat unfortunate!!!

And if you don't know what body part is refered to in modern vernacular as the starfish, then you will have to live on in ignorance as this is not the place to explain.

Their website: www.air200.com does not carry a single picture of the new scheme, just 3 pics of 757/767/A320 in the old scheme.

Am I right in assuming (without having seen it) that this new starfish has six legs like the red thing in the first choice logo? If so, that is one leg more than all the starfish on this planet have!!!!

God bless media/marketing/PR people - what would we do for a laugh without them?

BOTFOJ
7th May 2003, 23:33
six fingered starfish :yuk:

theres two different variations

Green Titles (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/345468/M/)

Red Titles (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/345962/M/)

El Grifo
8th May 2003, 01:39
I have actually been working with the Aircraft Livery and the new uniform for some time now.

I shot images of the New Aircraft for Air 2000 months ago. They were chuffed with the pics, so they must appear in the marketing blurb someplace.

The new uniform is a bit strange at first sight, but believe me, like a lot of new ideas and designs, it does grow on you.

The big exception to the rule, is the strange blob and lopsided grin "thing" from TUI. I have seen some garbage in my life (and probably helped to create my fair share) but TUI takes the biscuit.

The logo annoys me more, every time I see it. It must be the most meaningless thing I have ever encountered.

It is neither symmetrical, creatively asymmetrical, or casually splashed on. It just sits there like some sort of lumbering logo, dredged up from the depths of some Teutonic nightmare.

I did a shoot on one of the Thomson Cruise Ships recently; they were merrily hacked off. They kept on being identified at sea as a "Russian Vessel"

:confused: :confused:

leonbrumsack
8th May 2003, 03:11
Maybe the TUI logo isn't quite as meaningless as you think!

http://www.tui.de/pics/tui.de/design/logos/tui.de1.gif

The weird smile thingy is actually made up of the three letters T, U and I if you look carefully. From one perspective, the smile is the T, looking at it 'normally' looks like a U, and the eye is the dot of the I.

Don't ask me where this pointless information came from! I think I read it in a German TUI brochure when the new image was first rolled out! :O

El Grifo
8th May 2003, 04:11
Thing is leonbrumsack, a good corporate logo is like a good joke, it should not have to be explained. It should stand on its own merit.

As for you ott, slowwwwww downnnnnnn maaaaaan, I am not criticizing TUI,

I am criticizing their Sh*te logo !!!

:eek: :cool: :eek:

leonbrumsack
8th May 2003, 04:50
I agree that the logo isn't brilliant - I personally preffered Hapag-Lloyd and Britannia logos before, they could just have refreshed them a little. The new corporate image just doesn't seem to be at all relevant! And I don't think I'd have understood the logo at all had it not been explained to me!

The sad thing is somebody made lots of money out of that logo!

pom
8th May 2003, 05:36
http://mysite.freeserve.com/apgsmall/g-ooan-6a.jpg

Flower ..... Starfish.... ?????

I thought it was a version of Sideshow Bob's hairstyle ...........

http://nohomers.net/SBA/pictures/scan3.gif

kinsman
8th May 2003, 05:38
Moggie

I get the picture, guess the starfish is on the right end of the aeroplane then.

OTT

We are talking paint jobs and uniforms, chill!

PaperTiger
8th May 2003, 05:46
The sad thing is somebody made lots of money out of that logo!

Not necessarily, more than one 'branding' has been done by the wife of an airline CEO. Some of them look like the kids were involved too :yuk:

And do starfish have fingers anyway ? I though they were pseudopœdia (oh sorry, wrong thead :ooh: )

Desk Driver
8th May 2003, 16:07
The big pink Flower is supposed to be a "Starfish"

The uniform is the same for Firstchoice Travel Agents "Travelchoice"

Air 2000 Cabin Crew

First Choice overseas reps

Apparently these "Corp' Colors" are part of the First Choice Groups drive for everything to have the same identity?

:yuk:

harpy
8th May 2003, 17:10
I think the "starfish" is meant to be a freckle.

Thunderbird One
8th May 2003, 18:28
El Grifo,

Errrrr NO! That uniform would NEVER grow on me. Maybe the livery would, but DEFINATELY not the uniform
:yuk:

T1

leonbrumsack
8th May 2003, 23:44
Does anybody have a photo link to this terrible uniform? I haven't seen it yet!

beamer
9th May 2003, 05:34
The new A2K uniform for female cabin staff is fine in isolation but if you see two or three crews together - well, lets just say its a
bit overpowering. The vivid pink shirts for the stewards are NOT popular but it will not be changed so they will have to get used to it. I understand that the new flightdeck uniform incorporates
a leather jacket with embroidered brevet and name badge on the front with a huge badge on the back with a starfish and the
logo MARLBORO TEAM AIR 2000.COM or something similar........

World of Tweed
9th May 2003, 07:32
I actually fly for Brits and have been quite interested in your comments on the TUI logo. Its actually a "SMILE"....cos thats what a holiday is meant to make you do and the rebranding was to harmonise all the TUI brands with common threads - You've seen all the major leisure groups follow suit i.e TC and MyTravel they beat us to it but we've been planning for over two years.

I do think the Brits livery needs an injection of class, maybe a silver stripe separating the two-tone fuselage?

RE: Air 2BOB....well I'm jsut happy the blokes look more ridiculous than I do.

I was in CUN on the 1st of may and the crew ahead of us at Immigration had the hideous pink garb. Believe me after getting up at 5am, doing an 10h 30m flight and arriving in a hot crowded airport that was Visually Offensive - infact I might sue for potential eye damage.

However I spoke to the crew and apparently that colour is NOT Pink .....No ......no.....they've been told by their management that it is acutally "Rasberry". Perhaps they should be testing the Marketing/PR/Corporate Balls-ups departments Eyesight?

I pity the crews and if Brits had done that to us (which I wouldn't put it past them) I would have resigned. Contrary to the popular stereotype not all male Crew would have enjoyed that colour.

Thankfully our airline now consists of Swedes/French/Germans and they all have better corporate fashion sense than Elizabeth Emanuel (creator of the last BY uniform).

.......And Breathe......

You might laugh at the pettiness of such posts but for crew this kind of corporate medling means we have to look like idiots and it undermines our authority on board. Particuarly with drunk groups of teenage lads/ladettes! Can you imagine what chance a big burly steward has now of getting them to calm down? Pax are like children they respond to authority figures first visually then audibly.

Sure the uniform isn't everything but it is a huge part of our working experience - it is like a costume and can influence what kind of character/persona you take on. All this adds to how professional you feel and how professional others see you a critical and often overlooked factor. I think Air 2000 have really insulted their crew and anyone associated with implementing the new uniform should be ashamed.

Airbus Girl
9th May 2003, 16:40
First Choice/ Air 2000 colours incorporate both that pink and that turquoise-green colour.
The aircraft are getting new interiors (some already done) which mean that most of the seats are of that turquoise-green colour, and are leather. So imagine that nice turquoise-green and that nice pink. Together. And then add the tie-die pink-white-green blouse. And the guys wearing a pink shirt.
Ideal for a night Ibiza!!! Apparently the tie-die blouse won't show the puke induced by the clash of the seats and uniforms....!!!!
The gay stewards don't like the pink shirts because it makes them look overtly gay.
The straight stewards don't like the pink shirts because it makes them look gay.
And have you seen the new handbags? Once you have your passport and phone inside, they are full!!
The aircraft colour scheme is not too bad though (on the outside).

El Grifo
11th May 2003, 00:17
World of Tweed

I guess most folks reckoned, that in some way, the strange "logo" on the tail of TUI aircraft and everywhere, is meant to represent a smile, there must be thousands of ways to do this.

Surely something freehand and flowing would have been appropriate when trying to convey the idea of vacation, relaxing and fun.

The new logo is more suggestive of the Hammer and Sickle
than it is of holidays.

It looks like it has been drawn on one of those doodle pads with the knobs to control the X and Y axis, you know the ones, you just can't seem to get a flowing curve or a perfect circle.

I would love to find out which design company, or 8 year old son of which director was responsible for it.

It is truly the most vulgar, lumpen, un-inspiring, blocky, non-balanced, piece of garbage I have ever encountered, in the world of corporate logos.

:hmm: :hmm: :{

U/S President
11th May 2003, 06:44
I would love to find out which design company, or 8 year old son of which director was responsible for it.
The World of TUI brand was created by the Cologne office of the Swiss branding agency Interbrand and almost certainly didn’t come cheaply.

Some people aren’t too keen on the MyTravel branding either but at least MyTravel didn’t have to pay someone an extortionate amount to come up with it - Airtours got the name for free when they acquired Travel Services International Inc in 2000 and just decided to adopt it.

Richard Spandit
11th May 2003, 23:40
I have been flying in the newly branded Air 2000 aircraft for some time and although the consensus is that the livery is an inprovement (although the thing on the tail is actually supposed the represent the rear end of a monkey apparently) there is still some consternation about the new uniform.

Personally, I don't find it as bad as I thought it would be. The cut of the girl's uniform is very smart (similar to Virgin's) and it is not really a feminine pink shirt that the men wear. Although a radical departure from the last uniform, it is "a grower".

As about being embarassed to fly for them? At least we don't have the callsign "Baby" (with the associated logo)...

Thunderbird One
12th May 2003, 06:12
Is it true that some of the Cabin Crew have resigned because they refused to wear it as it is so bad?

Mialo
12th May 2003, 18:24
the baby thing must be a little embarassing, i wonder if the new flight deck uniform (single breasted/silver stripes) comes with a large safety pin?

myflybhx
15th May 2003, 03:48
Have to say that I am not a fan of the air2k uniform. The girls do stand out but the guys look a little to casual with out a tie.

As for the TUI logo, we'll I used to work for Thomson overseas and they really wanted to make us look completely stupid in our yellow red and blue check!! So if I worked for BAL I would be a little worried as they are currently having a new uniform designed.

Have to say I am more than happy with my uniform at MYT lets hope they we keep up the good work with our new uniform.

Kestrel_909
17th Apr 2004, 13:57
Has anyone actually thought what it's like for the pax, at 3am in the morning cruising back from Tenerife after walking around for 12hours in the sun before getting to the airport, boarding the flight home shattered to sit down and watch people in pink shirts run up and down the cabin?

It doesn't have the so much calm, comfortable feel to it the more neutral blue at MyT. Far easier on the old eyes in the morning after a bad attempt at sleep.

Quite like their livery though, it's fresh looking and happy, the old tapestry colours were worn out and boring, the new livery was a welcome improvement for my eyes :)