PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hours off approved I.R. if UK PPL ???

cubby
1st Nov 2001, 16:52
I had my ppl issued in Feb 1997 and trained to the old CAA 40 hour route .
I passed my IMC in sept 1999 and renewed it July 2001 .
Will be starting my Approved I.R. in Jan/Feb 2002. I have 182TT
I have heard that I could qualify for up to 12 hours off the 55 hour I.R. course.
Can anyone confirm this ?
Who should I deal with if this is the case ?
I.E the CAA or the FTO ?
Thanks everyone.

Cubby....... :p

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
1st Nov 2001, 18:28
Yep you are right. (IMC holders only)There is a loop hole, and it is this. If you put the IR directly on to your PPL then you will be given a 12 hour reduction from the IR (now 43 hours). So you can do your CPL and then the IR but you have to send of the IR first then when it comes back you can then send of for the CPL. I have been in to FCL at Gatwick and that is what they told me. This loop hole will expire at the end of June 2002.
Cub I am in the same situation as you, and I will be going down this route.

Don't listen to any FTO that tells you this is not the case. There are a couple that will tell you exacly what I have told you and they are PAT at EGHH and Cabair.

Good luck
:) :)

cortilla
1st Nov 2001, 19:42
However what you shouldn't forget is that all the hours that you can blag off your course (up to half of your total flying time up to a max of 40 hours and the 12 hours off your IR) are completely up to the FTO's Discretion. I had 90 hours when I stated so was eligable for the the full 40 hours off my total course, but the school that I'm at gave me 20 hours off my course at the SOLO rate, although most of the hours that got taken off where actually dual. but hey every penny helps.

Snigs
1st Nov 2001, 22:01
Just a further note to the AC electrics man, you don't need to send the CPL and IR applications off seperately to the CAA, in fact if you do it'll cost you more!! Just send them at the same time (and have your IMC revalidated at the same time, that's free!!)

As long as you have not got an issued JAR CPL you will get the 12 hour dispensation on the approved IR course (provided you have a valid UK IMC on a UK PPL). But note, the 12 hours reduction is only on the sim, you still have to do the minimum 15 hours a/c IF

MALCOLM_DEAN
2nd Nov 2001, 03:30
Just to clarify the point for those that are eligible for this exemption.

1. You must have a UK PPL and an IMC.

2. You must undertake the IR training prior to the issue of a JAA licence.

IF this is carried out, you can then claim the 12 hour reduction for the approved IR.

THIS IS NOT AT THE DISCRETION OF THE FTO.

However, be aware that if you go down this route, then you cannot also claim the 5 hour reduction for the holding of a CPL ('cos it ain't been issued yet. !!)

I must stress that this option to those people who hold a UK PPL. If you have a JAA PPL then there is no reduction available. My understanding is that this avenue will cease in June 2002 when all the other FCL deadlines kick in as well.

As always, any queries, email me.

Malcolm Dean
Head of Training
Multiflight

TheSilverFox
2nd Nov 2001, 15:37
Just to clarify one of the points mentioned above:-

" You have to commence your IR training prior to the issue of any JAA licence"

Not correct!

If you held a CAA PPL with valid IMC rating prior to the issue of your JAA CPL, you still hold a CAA PPL with IMC rating as that licence is valid for life.

Therefore you can have your IR issued on your PPL and then have it transfered to your CPL (This process allows you the the 12 hour reduction).

The only downside is that the CAA will charge you two fees. A small price to pay if you are saving 12 hours on the cost of your IR training.

I have taken this route with several of my recent IR students.

Good luck with the training, and LEARN THE CHECKS!!!

cubby
2nd Nov 2001, 17:17
Thanks everyone.
So what you are saying is :

As I have a CAA PPL and valid IMC
I can get a 12 hour reduction on my IR,
But only if,having passed my GFT, I don't apply to the CAA for the issue of my JAA CPL, but continue on to do my IR course and on passing my GFT for that, I can then send off both applications to the CAA for the issue of the JAA CPL licence and IR privilages.

:eek:

Cubby.....

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
2nd Nov 2001, 22:38
SFox and M Dean

could you please tell me in what form does the 12 hours come of the IR. Is it sim time or the single and multi engine phase?

Big Prop
2nd Nov 2001, 23:19
I am also in the UK PPL/JAR CPL training system, having passed UK ATPL's and JAA CPL skill test for issue of a JAA CPL(R).I now need an I/R so I am currently holding back my JAA CPL(R) application form whilst I await an answer from the CAA to the question of whether I can still add a (Cheaper) UK CAA I/R to my UK PPL after my JAA CPL(R)has been issued - as has been suggested the I/R then apparently gets transfered for a small fee to your JAA CPL(R).
So far I unfortunately have had conflicting info back from the CAA. By phone they said I could do it, but when I asked them the same question in writing(not wanting to commit myself to the wrong course on the basis of a phone call alone!) the response I received was somewhat ambiguous with reference to 'JAA CPL holders follow JAA route with the 5 hr reduction' so my question still awaits clarification.!! I'll let you all know the answer when I get it!!! Anyone else followed this path?

Snigs
3rd Nov 2001, 15:29
Cubby, correct :) (That is exactly what I did)

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz, the 12 hours is a reduction in "dual synthetic IR training", i.e. simulator time.

For all this to be valid, the IR training must be complete by 13th June 2002, so crack on folks!!

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
3rd Nov 2001, 16:40
Snigs thanks ;)

robione
3rd Nov 2001, 17:40
Silverfox is bang on .The small fee to transfer the IR from PPL to CPL is £128-00. :)

HomerSimpson
3rd Nov 2001, 23:13
I had a PPL/Night/IMC/Multi and decided to follow the 12 reduction from the 55 hour approved IR. I was told by the CAA that I had to have the IR issued by Gatwick BEFORE I was allowed to carry on with the CPL course. So I had to pay £128 for the IR to be issued, then 2 days later £176 for the CPL.

I HATE THE CAA, ITS NOT AS IF FLYING IS CHEAP IN THIS COUNTRY!!