PDA

View Full Version : BAe146 makes 5 approaches to LCY

Number Cruncher
5th May 2003, 06:50
Whilst on the 146, was sat in my garden toay (situated 5 miles West of the London City runway 10 threshold) and spotted a BA 146 making 5 approaches to land. Now i'm assuming this was the same aircraft as there was only one flight scheduled to land at LCY today. Unless it was performing training (which i very much doubt at LCY) i struggled to understand what was going on?

Anyone?

unwiseowl
5th May 2003, 06:55
Bloomin eck - wish I could afford a house with a garden in the middle of the smoke!

Lucky Angel
5th May 2003, 07:03
Yes i think they are training. BACX just started operating the a/c in there and a lot of people converting onto the 146. Maybe they were practising steep approaches.

eyeinthesky
5th May 2003, 16:01
From memory, one of the conditions to operating into LCY is that both crew members have to have flown a certain number of steep ILS approaches. There are only a few places that have them (Innsbruck and LCY?) and I think you can do one for practice at Gamston, so they were probably racking up the required number.

dv8
5th May 2003, 22:11
To be LCY qualified on the Dash 8 I had to do two missed approaches one with simulated engine failure and no auto feather and one approach and landing. All done after ticking the box in the sim first.

BAe 146-100
6th May 2003, 04:17
Hi,

Pilots, do you find LCY the most difficult airport to approach and land at?

BAe 146-100

AlanM
6th May 2003, 04:32
Crew training. Lots of landings/go-arounds/crew changes.

Switched to 28 later due to the wind.

Callsign was BRT81T - for you spotters.

Sunday is the best day for the training as it is fairly quiet. Air Wales have been in as well recently.

....and if you are really bored.....

go see:

City Airport website (http://www.lcacc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html)

you can even go to: About the Airport > Airport Operations > operations Home page.

From there you can download a PDF file with the airport charges including training flights.