PDA

View Full Version : Southend Arson

LTN man
5th May 2003, 03:33
BBC are reporting that someone set fire to a Boeing 727 at Southend. The fire began just before 1600 BST on Saturday and was tackled by the airport fire service and crews from south Essex. The blaze on the 727 was put out within 40 minutes.

Caslance
5th May 2003, 03:40
Was this one a "stray firework," too?:confused:

HZ123
6th May 2003, 20:53
Any pics, does anyone know whose a/c it was as last time I visited the only 727 was EI-PAK which was rumoured for storage before breaking.

mudcity
7th May 2003, 14:43
It was actually a B707 ELAKJ and the fire was started in the cockpit resulting in extensive damage to the acft ;three yobs were seen running away from the acft.

HZ123
8th May 2003, 14:31
Thanks for that I assume this a/c was on the stowage area and was in a poor condition anyway. Rgds

Crosswind Limits
10th May 2003, 05:23
Was lined up on 24 ready for departure when told to hold position due to an emergency. I could see smoke to my right but would never have imagined it had been caused by arson - swines!

LTN man
10th May 2003, 13:35
So much for tighter security at these smaller airfields. Nice to know that allegedly three people can just go airside, board a jet, set fire to it and then disappear.

HZ123
10th May 2003, 15:41
Thiose of us familiar with SEN will know that the security there can best be described as functional with the main thrust at the terminal area. Did this a/c have any commercial value ?

The engineering area falls into a diferent catergory and I assume that the a/c was within the derelict a/c area which I believe can be accessed without to much dificulty as displayed.

How is it that so many incidents always have witnesses that see people running from the scene.