PDA

View Full Version : Perfect day for flying!

Aerobatic Flyer
5th May 2003, 03:13
I don't know how the weather was with you this weekend, but here it was perfect. Only problem was the heat!:cool:

Here's a pic taken from 9000ft about 10 miles SW of Megève. Mont Blanc on the left, and for those with good eyes (or the original high-definition photo...), the Matterhorn in the distance.

http://flyos.free.fr/fna/imageforum/images/mountain-view.jpg

This one was a bit further South from 10000ft. The ski resort of Alpe d'Huez is just the other side of these mountains. The snow was a bit heavy in the heat, so not many people were landing on the glaciers. But apart from that, conditions were just fantastic.

http://flyos.free.fr/fna/imageforum/images/grandes-rousses.jpg

cblinton@blueyonder.
5th May 2003, 03:41
Wow!!!!

What a fab flight!
Are there any strips near Zermatt that you know of?
I have often thought of flying to Geneve then on for some skiing.

What A/C were you in?

QDMQDMQDM
5th May 2003, 04:25
I don't know how the weather was with you this weekend, but here it was perfect. Only problem was the heat!

Rearrange the following words to form a well-known English phrase: "Off sod".

;)

QDM

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th May 2003, 04:52
Yesterday morning was superb. 50K or greater viz, and some cloud around 4K. We Chippied down to Tatenhill via the LLR to pick up our (repaired) radio. Returned to Barton via a northerly heading from Tatenhill via Ashbourne and over the Peak District. Super scenery - the White peak over Dovedale, Moneyash, east of Buxton, Bleaklow, around the Manch zone and into BTN from the east.

By 14:00 it was raining, but we were tucking into bacon butties in the clubhouse by then.

Today was even better, but others had the aeroplane booked. So I went out for some 2-wheeled fun, biking out to Wales and Shropshire.

SSD

Fly Stimulator
5th May 2003, 04:52
Actually it was a lovely day in the south east today, albeit slightly breezy.

I'll be doing a little circuit of France in a month's time and was thinking of flying past Mont Blanc. I was wondering what the situation is with the border crossings involved as you fly around the area - do people stick to the letter of the law and file flight plans in order to spend five minutes in Italian airspace while circling the mountain?

And is the R30B area active often?

Aerobatic Flyer
5th May 2003, 06:06
cblinton

I don't know about strips near Zermatt. I've never flown there... never noticed any strips on the ground when I've visted though.

I was in a Jodel Mousquetaire. Absolutely the best plane for flying in the mountains, especially when they're stripped of all unnecessary weight (gyros, all nav equipment, transponder, etc.)

Fly Stimulator

But of course we file flight plans! Always! The only problem is that we have so little nav equipment that we can't really be too sure when we cross the border!;)

Actually, lots of people nip across into Italy. Slightly fewer go into Switzerland, because the swiss have a tendency to report people.... :rolleyes: Obviously if you're landing on their glaciers, you need to be very careful not to make a hash of it.

Don't worry about R30B. It indicates rescue helicopter activity, and is active in July and August only. (I have no idea why, because there are rescue helicopters all year round). If you tune to 130.0 (French mountain frequency), and report your postion and altitude from time to time you'll be fine.

GRP
5th May 2003, 08:07
AF.... was that one of the Jodels from the Megeve Aeroclub? I did a flight from there in one with one of the locals last year and had a great time. I'm in the area a fair amount (used to live near Geneva and still have an appartment there (Grand Bornand)). I keep meaning to do the site authorisation at Megeve but have not got round to it so far. If that is where you are flying from I'd be interested in "picking your brains" via email to get some info.

LowNSlow
5th May 2003, 13:16
It was 26 degrees, calm and sunny here. Unfortunately 'here' is Kazakhstan and there is no aeroplane available for me to fly. Went to the bar instead. Quelle surprise :cool:

Aerobatic Flyer
5th May 2003, 16:13
GRP Yes, it was one of Megève Aéroclub's Jodels.