PDA

View Full Version : Gathering storm over SNN - Today's "Business Post"

akerosid
4th May 2003, 18:37
Transport minister Seamus Brennan is facing a showdown over the Shannon stopover with the senior Fianna Fail colleague heading up the Dáil transport committee.

Dublin TD Eoin Ryan has warned the minister - who has defended the practice of forcing every second transatlantic flight to stop at the Co Clare airport - that the rule is blinkeredand badfor the economy.

Ryan said it was time for Brennan to adopt a pragmatic approach in the coming weeks, and permit the European Commission to negotiate an "open skies" agreement withthe United States.Such an accord would bring an abrupt end to the bilateral Irish- American deal that governs the Shannon stopover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent indications that Brennan was prepared to ditch the stopover have been met with a barrage of criticism; it was hoped that the stopover could be dropped in anticipation of the open skies deal and that this would put the government in a better position to provide a compensatory package to the region. Ironically, what the SNN lobby is doing is endangering the region by its objections, in that if it fights a lost battle to the bitter end, it could end up endangering/reducing drastically the compensation for the region. Ironically, since DUB is the main domestic hub, most destinations along the western seaboard, from CKF to KIR/ORK are far more easily reached from DUB than SNN.

The consequences of a change could be very profitable for Aer Lingus; Willie Walsh has already hinted of up to 14-16 new US destinations over the coming years, which would mean at least a doubling of the current fleet.

In trim
5th May 2003, 02:32
I know SNN very well and am aware of why the Irish Government wish to try and encourage the economy in the area.

However, this forced stopover belongs in the "dark ages" of protected and subsidised national carriers and not in this day and age of (so-called!) open competition.

About time the Irish Government saw sense and consigned this requirement to history!

Bomber Harris
5th May 2003, 12:02
Well said 'In Trim'. I too know SNN very well and have lived there for many years. I wish all my friends there, aviation and non-aviation related, prosperous years ahead; but they must do it on their own two feet and not by means of some 'dark ages' rule akin to the 11.00 o'clock pub closing in the UK!!!!