PDA

View Full Version : Working for airfields as a way of paying for lessons

WelshFlyer
4th May 2003, 07:06
I was told that working for my local airport doing all sorts of odd jobs and generally helping in return for lessons is a good way of starting out in light commercial.

This sounds very attractive to me, but have any of you had any expeiriance doing this and was it worth it/satisfying?

WelshFlyer;)

redsnail
4th May 2003, 11:36
What exactly are you doing?
Mowing the grass, filing reports/plans, fueling aircraft?

Any thing that teaches you more than the syllabus is a good thing.

Irishwingz
5th May 2003, 00:49
Have never done it but am thinking about it if I do some flying abroad.

If you are into flying/aviation - which I assume you are - I guess it would do no harm. Its better than working in McDonalds, i know I'd prefer to be helping dismantle an engine than turning burgers!

Let us know if you do it an how it goes - also, more importantly what kind of credit you are getting towards lessons/hours!

:} Wingz

mystic_av8r
6th May 2003, 17:06
Get the best paying job you can.....either in or out of the aviation industry, and fund your flying that way. Most of those working at airfields as "odd jobbers" usually end up being exploited and also given all of the nice jobs like cleaning out the toilets. Only ever walk into a flying school when you have the money to spend in your pocket. They'll give you more respect that way, but only slightly more!

Onan the Clumsy
7th May 2003, 00:46
Mystic isn't wrong, but you can learn a lot by being around aviation and you can make a lot of contacts too. After all, life is all about being in the right place at the right time.

An extension of Mystic's logic though is "Why become a pilot?" Why not get some great paying job in computers, buy your own aircraft and fly whenever you want?

Perhaps a happy medium would be to do it and keep your eyes open. You'll know if you're being exploited.

MEI
9th May 2003, 06:03
I worked at an airfield in the states and payed for an entire instrument rating one summer. I mowed grass, watered flowers, painted hangers, all the pee- on jobs and it was well worth it. Meet many great people who let me fly their airplanes and made some great connections and career adivce. This was just a mom and pop airfield so there wasn't much attitude, just friendly folks mostly. Wouldn't have traded that experience for the world. It payed horrible but hey you have to be in it to win it.;)