PDA

View Full Version : Going to Le Touquet

bd01uk
3rd May 2003, 03:22
Hello everyone.

About 3 weeks ago i did my cross channel check with my instructor and his nephew. His nephew flew out, and I flew back. Now, I want to fly there again next week, but I want to take 3 passengers, all weighing about 14 stone. (same as me). We will be going in an Archer III. I ahven't got any of the weight schedules here with me, but i rang my instuctor to ask him about it. He said he couldnt work anything out until next week but I need to know now. I would be really greatful if someone could help, just by giving some rough guides, and basically if I can do it. By the way, its my first time taking more than one passenger up.

Thanks Ben

wobblyprop
3rd May 2003, 03:55
from my archer-181 handbook

max weight in pounds = 2500 with a centre of gravity between 88.5ins and 93ins

Example (all in lbs)

Empty weight 1596 arm 88.43
Front Pax 340 arm 80.5
Rear Pax 340 arm 118.1
Max fuel (48Gal) 273.3 arm 95

Hope it helps

bd01uk
3rd May 2003, 04:11
Thanks for the details. I haven't got round to working it out just yet, but i'm hoping that it will be ok.
Any other details would be appriciated.

Cheers

rustle
3rd May 2003, 04:18
About 3 weeks ago i did my cross channel check with my instructor and his nephew. His nephew flew out, and I flew back

On the basis you flew back (and you're using the same A/C), presume you still have the W&B calcs and PLOG you used for that flight?

Therefore you know the empty weight, you know MAUW, you know how much fuel you need (and its SG) and you know that 4*14ST = 784lbs...

Does that bring you in under MAUW?

The only other part of the equation is where the CG will be, but I don't think you'll get that far in your calculations ;)
(NB, not because you can't do the maths, but 4*14ST persons plus fuel is a lot of weight)

bd01uk
3rd May 2003, 04:22
Ok, maybe it will only have to be the three of us. I havent got the calculations, becuse the flight formed part of my dual check and they kept my weight and balance equations. But 4 people, i think, is too much

Tall_guy_in_a_152
3rd May 2003, 04:22
Sorry, but I think you need to make alternative plans.

The following is based on a particular Archer II that I fly - remember each example of each type is different.

Ignoring balance and looking purely at the weight:

Pilot and passengers 4 x 14 x14 = 784 lbs
Fuel, say 40 gals = 240 lbs
Basic empty weight = 1696 lbs

Total = 2720 lbs

max allowed: = 2558

So you are 162lbs overweight, before baggage!

Not the most practical 4 seater in the world!

TG.

bd01uk
3rd May 2003, 04:25
Alright then, Ive taken out one passenger, and to tell the truth, im just a biit over 13 stone. I know it doesn't make much difference but i'm gonna settle with the 2 passengers.

Thanks again

Tall_guy_in_a_152
3rd May 2003, 04:34
No problem.

Another useful item for the weight and balance schedule is that a bottle of wine weighs typically 3 lbs. So, if you can calculate how much fuel you burned on the way out, you know how much booze you can bring back!

This assumes that you like wine and do NOT refuel at Le Touquet.

TG.

bd01uk
3rd May 2003, 04:39
Guess what?

My instuctor worked all that out and we brought back as much wine, as fuel we burnt. I couldnt believe my eyes when he came out of the shop with it all. But hopefully, if im taking 2 passengers, we can bring a little bit back.
So do you think that 2 passengers, with full fuel will be ok. My brain is a bit slow tonight now.

Cheers

Tall_guy_in_a_152
3rd May 2003, 04:53
You should be fine with the three of you, but do a proper W & B workup before you go. Get your mates to have a weigh-in beforehand. Remind them that their lives may depend on honesty!

You will have a much more relaxing day knowing 100% that you are operating within safe limits.

I suggest you search pprune for other Le Touquet trip reports. I'm sure there are some.

Have a great day,

TG.

QDMQDMQDM
3rd May 2003, 05:52
Get your mates to have a weigh-in beforehand. Remind them that their lives may depend on honesty!

That's sure to instill them with confidence!

bd01uk
4th May 2003, 07:18
Well thanks for everyone's help. I found a really decent website last night. It was Solant airs one. www.solentflight.com
It has weight and balnce charts for their aircraft and I found out myslef that i can only take 2 people. It has loads of other info too.

Jeffrey
4th May 2003, 19:46
Have fun going to LFAT, remember to pick up the ATIS about 15 minutes before you arrive and get your charts sorted out for the arrival as they have two runways (I landed on 24 yesterday in choppy conditions). Also make sure the weather will stay VFR for your return.

BTW the Solent site for your W&B calcs has a brilliant connection to a National Weather site that gives Relative Humidity which is essential knowledge for potential Carb Ice conditions. The Met Office web site does not have this and I have been looking for this info for a while. Many Thanks.

The wx site is http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/GB_cc.html