PDA

View Full Version : BTEC Aerospace Engineering...Mechanical or Avionic?

Military Man
2nd May 2003, 16:06
Hi there

First of all i have posted this in the Engineers forum but have not had a lot of response (i have had a couple of very good responses but am loooking to get further details). If this thread is inapropriate for this forum then delete it. Thanks

I am currently about to take my AS levels but am leaving college at the end of this year to go to Newcastle college in order to take part in their BTEC Aerospace Engineering course in conjunction with the new Newcastle Aviation Academy. I am about to apply but have discovered that Newcastle College offer two course

BTEC Aerospace Engineering Mechanical
BTEC Aerospcae Engineering Avionics

I understand that the mechanical course will involve learning the airframe structure and enginers and the avionic course will involve avionic systems such as electrical systems etc but was wanting to ask anyones opinion on which course they think would benefit someone possibly wanting to become a pilot and also if anyone has any experience as to what details these courses go into and what they consist of apart from what i already know which is.....not a lot really.

Id be really grateful if anyone could give me any help and also can anyone recommend any books etc for these courses.

Many thanks

Flying Mechanic
7th May 2003, 01:51
From someone who started off in the hangar and went flying,I would lean towards to doing a Mechanical course,as that way you can become handy in the hangar and in your early days of Aviation,if you can help fix light aircraft ,operators will be interested in you.When I had about 400 hours I worked for co in their hanger,with in 3 months I was flying their 182.....then 206.......then Partenavia.......then Islander.And when I was not flying I was always helping to maintain the aircraft,you are a commodity if you can fix and fly.There are plenty of people around who can fly.......but not many who can do both.
I would suggest to you now,try and get some experience working on Light aircraft.
I am working down in the Caribbean now,and I am Chief Pilot for small co,but I still help fix the Aircraft.........its a great skill to have......also I have broken down in third world countries and been dam glad i had the skills to get me home.

Genghis the Engineer
7th May 2003, 19:08
I'd be surprised if there was that much hands-on "hangar engineering" on either course, they're both likely to be far more analysis / design oriented.

G

avioniker
8th May 2003, 01:15
As one who got his mechanical skills helping with the hangar work as part of the payment for his flight time, I'd say avionics will be much more helpful in the cockpit as a pilot.
I teach avionics and aircraft systems and it was the avionics experience that got me most of my jobs after I quit flying.
I agree that a guy that can help out in the hangar is a valuable assett but if you're looking for a deeper understanding of why something happened when you threw a switch or lever avionics is the discipline that ties the most systems together.

primreamer
10th May 2003, 05:43
Military Man,
I did my BTEC Aerospace Engineering Mechanical course many years ago as an apprentice at both Ordinary and Higher levels. This was coupled with plenty practical experience firstly at a general engineering training centre, and then working with the company engineers in the hangars and workshops.
The BTEC course covered all the necessary subjects to give a thorough grounding in aicraft engineering including mathematics, engineering science, workshop processes, industrial law, stores procedures, air legislation, aerodynamics, aircraft structures and systems, theory of flight and jet engine theory and systems.
As to which discipline, avionic or mechanical, will stand you in good stead to become a pilot is a difficult question. I am now a licenced engineer, not a pilot but I know several people who started out as engineers and now fly for various airlines and they come from both disciplines roughly 50:50.
Whatever you learn in your engineering course will be helpful because you can draw on this experience and maybe approach situations or solve problems in different ways or from another perspective.
Good luck whichever path you take.

Ramsay
10th May 2003, 06:43
Hi, first time i've posted on these forums.
So, your taking BTEC Aerospace Engineering Mechanical at Newcastle College and starting in September?
If that's a yes, so am I :eek:
I've just spoke to the dude who runs the course (sp?) and he said i have a choice of either mechanical or avionics and he's got me a place in both but i have to choose one. Think i'm going to choose mechanical, i'm just more interested in engines than software to put it simply.
I suppose i had the same dilema as you do, whether you want mechanical or avoinics; so i'll see you there if you don't change your mind.
My name is John Ramsay and i'm the short one :ok:

Godfroi
10th May 2003, 21:41
Military man

From a Licensed airframe / engine engineers point of view I think you would be better off taking the avionics course, thats of course assuming you wish to gain 'hands on' employment.

In order to satisfy todays JAR requirements then a mechanical man has to now re-train in electrical systems (B1 license) to enable full certification responsibilities. Avionics, without provoking an argument, is probably the superior trade within aviation line maintenance. however, if you wish to pursue a career in design then the option of mechanical would be the preferred choice as stress engineering and srtucture evaluation is far more interesting.