PDA

View Full Version : Relief for Malaga ?

radarman
2nd May 2003, 03:02
For about four years there have been rumours, leaks and the occasional press article about a privately funded airport to be built on the Costa del Sol. After several false starts due to problems with the original site, word now has it that the new airport will be built close to an old military airstrip near Jimena, about midway between Malaga and Jerez, some ten miles north of Gibraltar. Rumour control suggests it is now a 'done deal', with a 7,500 ft runway aligned 34/16, with ILS both ends, rail links to Algeciras, and a spur to the new Malaga - Jerez motorway. Apparently there is quite alot of Irish money involved. Unfortunately my limited range of contacts can't unearth any more details. Is there anyone out there in flight crew/airline ops/management who can shed some more light on this project?

unwiseowl
2nd May 2003, 03:21
Arn't there plans for a second R/W at Malaga Airport as well?

flysr4ever
2nd May 2003, 05:34
But Jimena is more than two hours drive from Malaga.

Irish money = Tara Aerospace?

Surely if it was a done deal, they'd be more information with regards to planning etc?

Jer

BoarderDude
2nd May 2003, 15:57
Are they gonna call it "Malaga - South" ??? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

741A
2nd May 2003, 16:09
I heard Ryanair are interested in Granada when that airport has completed it's new terminal building, within the next 2 years I think. With excellent road links to Malaga it'll be extremely popular.

Tcas climb
2nd May 2003, 17:39
But Jimena is more than two hours drive from Malaga.

I guess it's going to be a Ryanair destination then;) :

MALAGA Jimena

moggie
2nd May 2003, 19:27
I think I saw something about this in the local paper - I'll see if I still have it at home.

topper2
2nd May 2003, 20:22
Wow! they spent all these years arguing over Gibraltar airport being Spanish and then they build one right next to us!!

Could this mean an alternative approach to the whole airport dispute?

I think all that airspace used to be restricted. Does this mean they'll be opening it up again?

moggie
3rd May 2003, 05:46
The Costa del sol news (10-16 april) says that local environmental groups are protesting about the plan to build at Jimena de la Frontera.

The plan is being put forward by the Irish group, Newco (whoever they are) and the local greens are complaning that the aircraft noise will spoil Jimena and Campo de Gibraltar.

They should complain - the same paper carries an article saying that the prison planned for Campo de Gib will not be built there, but in the town where I live!!!!

Maybe time for a poll: do you prefer a ) jet noise or b ) dangerous criminals?

Of course, if Michael O'Leary send his jets into Jimena (Madrid south) then the two choices are one and the same!

PakoSpain
5th May 2003, 14:00
I have not heard of any plans to make a new airport in Jimena. The idea itself is crazy with Gib airport so close (on atc point of view) and so many prohibited/restricted areas around. But in any case it will not be called "Malaga 2nd airport" as Jimena belongs to the province of Cadiz.
As for Málaga, plans to double capacity are on the way. A new Terminal building, 2nd runway, etc, due to start next year. Situation on peak days is close to collapse, with 10,5 millions passengers in 2002 and an estimate increase of 10 % for 2003.

Regards

Bumz_Rush
17th May 2003, 20:09
Is there any future for extra services to GIBRALTAR from UK, or would any new airport in the local area steel any extra pax.
Just thinking out loud.
The plans for the second runway are progressing, but I dont think the diggers are in yet. perhaps they will relocate from LHR T5.
Gibraltar is my second home, or at least Marina Bay pier 4 is.

topper2
23rd May 2003, 21:34
Ahh.... All those sunny afternoons sipping coffee at Bianca's, watching 737s negotiating that tricky right hander for rwy 9.

Gib's a great place to be!

B'rush, what 2nd rnwy? are you rferring to Gib? if so, they could only add another runway on a North/South heading along the east side. not really compatible with the e/w winds, or is there something I dont know?

Bumz_Rush
31st May 2003, 16:16
2nd runway was for AGP.....The north mole is a possible location for the new stol port in GIB.....I go MON to AGP later this month....so will try to get more bumph on the runway proposals at AGP....see your PM.

Or to give it its correct name Malaga, south..........or Gibraltar north....

PakoSpain
4th Jun 2003, 02:31
Initial details for new rwy 13/31 at Malaga:
- 8 degrees convergence with 14/32.
- 2.600 metres
- procedures will permit separate operations but not parallel app's
- south configuration: Dep's on 13, Arr's on 14
- north configuration : Dep's on 32, Arr's on 31
- works will start at 2007 to be finished by 2010.

As soon as I get more info about procedures I will let you know, but considering the way things are done here down south, new rwy will not be operative before 2012.

Regards
Pako