PDA

View Full Version : No takers for Wick-GLA inaugural flight

Joe Curry
1st May 2003, 21:56
This one got off to a bad start.. (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/page.cfm?objectid=12897212&method=full&siteid=89488)

richardhall99
1st May 2003, 23:00
This is a good thread because we often hear about new routes starting and you get the ppruners who have faith in them and the others who write them off straight away.

We had a lot of specualation about Eastern Airways and I was just wondering how they were doing with all their new routes around the UK aswell? Flybe's new routes from BHX and SOU and any others that have started at MAN

Findo
1st May 2003, 23:07
Bit of a shame but hardly surprising. Considering most of us with a keen interest in the aviation business did not know it was starting I wonder how many potential passengers knew.

Maybe the P & J was full of advertising but I doubt it.

Maybe the wrong airport was being used. If it was Glasgow Prestwick I would have thought lots of business people would have been glad to use the free rail services or connections to all those low cost European flights not accessible elsewhere.

Good luck to them anyway. Wish them success.

BAe 146-100
1st May 2003, 23:09
Hi,

Does anyone what aircraft did that flight? I'm guessing it could have been a J41.

Regards
BAe 146-100

brabazon
1st May 2003, 23:18
Check out the following for timings. I guess it was a J31? The timings are not good for a Monday morning meeting if you have to lose half your Sunday

http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/services/fn_timetable.htm

BAe 146-100
1st May 2003, 23:56
Hi,

Thanks brabazon, I checked out there website and It looks like it could have been a J31 flight :D.

Thanks
BAe 146-100

http://aerosite.net/logos/HighlandAirways.gif

ecj
5th May 2003, 18:14
Highland were operating a C.406 yesterday - Sunday 4 May. Looked somewhat empty leaving Sumburgh. Wonder how many got on at Wick?

B767300ER
6th May 2003, 01:16
How many flights serve Wick?

I once took a train from Inverness to Wick, over 4 hours, pulled by a smoky diesel with all 4 cars having open windows, and me with my allergies---inhaling all that misty May Scottish air.

I'll bet the view from a Cessna or Jetstream is as good as from a train window. Beautiful country up there.

ecj
6th May 2003, 21:27
loganair & eastern also operate into wick

Mister Geezer
8th May 2003, 04:17
Obviously not great news but I am sure Highland will receive a subsidy on this route, which will ease any pain.

Joe Curry
8th May 2003, 16:00
Anyone confirm that Highland Airways have pulled their
outer isles flights.? :mad:

ecj
8th May 2003, 19:44
Would this include their PSO routes?

Joe Curry
8th May 2003, 21:43
From their website (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/news/)

ecj
8th May 2003, 22:30
With the ATR 42 being "redeployed", what aircraft does Highland have which is capable of servicing this mail contract ??

1800Kgs payload mentioned for the J.31 on their website would be inadequate for the average day northbound; I think the post office would need something larger. Their DC-3 would do nicely.

Joe Curry
9th May 2003, 00:44
Highland Airways Fleet (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/charter/fleet.htm)

Caledonian
9th May 2003, 17:47
word on the street is that come September Highland will no longer have the mail contract, they are currently using a German registered Shorts 360 (Ex-Farnair l think) and will operate that aircraft til september, the ATR will be going to Atlantic.

Cant see who will want the mail contract, there is obvioulsy not much money in it as loganair ditched it and looks like highland dont really want it so.....who next ?? Eastern perhaps?? dunno

ecj
14th May 2003, 05:22
With the present times, the ac arrives in Stornoway before 0900 local from Benbecula, and sits about until 1700+ local before returning to Glasgow.

At least when Loganair had the contract up to Aug 2001, the Shorts would then put the seats back in at EGPO, and operate the EGPL morning & afternoon service, before returning to EGPF with the mail.

Aircraft utilisation is the challenge.

ecj
19th May 2003, 01:10
I see from www.egpf.co.uk that the HWY 701 from wick to glasgow arriving at 1600 was cancelled today. I wonder if it launched from Sumburgh in the first place ?

CRX
21st May 2003, 19:11
For those that are interested, the 'official' word on the street is this.
The proposed WIK-GLA-INV route is still alive (and well?). The aircraft deployed will depend on the number of bookings taken for that week. If the numbers are suitable for the F406 then that will be used. If they are exceed this then a J31 will be used.
Both types are used earlier in the day for newspaper flights to Orkney and Shetland.
If no bookings are taken (usually known about a Friday) then its probable that both aircraft will return to base (Inverness) or go direct to GLA. There would be little point in arriving at Wick if no passengers are booked on. It is not possible to book a flight by just turning up at Wick. This route is not subsidised at all.
The ATR redeployment has meant that the mail contract has been 'subbed' out to a German operator with a 360.
The Western Isles PSO (subsidised) routes remain operational with no change (I am flying it today!) and have been re-awarded recently.

CRX.