PDA

View Full Version : Glider tugging

jack.macneice
29th Oct 2001, 23:29
I got my PPL in august with an RAF schollarship. Unfortunately i havent flown since and now im looking to get airbourne again.

Does anyone have any experiance of glider tugging and what do i need to do it?

Cheers
Jack

Four Seven Eleven
30th Oct 2001, 01:45
Well.... not glider tugging.

Sorry

rob_frost
30th Oct 2001, 03:03
The general out look isn't particularly good. I know at big clubs ie Dunstable many of the club members hold a PPL as well. Naturally, if there is a short term vacancy, they would fill it. It would probably help to be qualified on the type that that club uses.
But there maybe someone somewhere who wants a pilot, maybe in a smaller club. I don't know.

Hope this helps

Rob

The Hooded Claw
30th Oct 2001, 04:02
Most clubs prefer their tug pilots to be glider pilots too, although it is not a pre-requisite. If you wanted to do a season as a summer tug pilot, then a few hours under your belt on type would help, bearing in mind that most (but not all) tugs are tail draggers.

If you want to do a bit in your spare time, the best bet is to find the most conveniant club that does a lot of towing and join. Once you've got your foot in the door, and done a bit of gliding, it shouldn't be too difficult to get in the tug. This may seem a little expensive and long winded, but compared to hiring an aircraft, it only adds up to a few hours, and could be far cheaper in the long run.

Besides which, gliding is great fun, and you're bound to make a few contacts along the way!!

goat1500
30th Oct 2001, 13:00
Most tug pilots that I know have originally started gliding, or at least got their foot in the door in some way. Pop down to your nearest club, show your face and get known.

Theres so few vacancies its all about who you know im afraid!
Good luck! :rolleyes:

jack.macneice
30th Oct 2001, 20:57
Cheers!
Ive got 20 hours gliding from air cadet VGS's which should help.

Thanks
Jack

jarjam
1st Nov 2001, 00:42
Mile High, I have just got cleared to tow at my gliding club, although it's fairly straight forward if you are a low hour PPL the limitations on experience due to the a/c insurance might shaft you, depending on the a/c this can be 100hrs P.1. and Taildragger experience. A few hours gliding is a must with some clubs but not essential. Also the demand is lower over the winter as there are ****** all thermals so training can take a frustrating amount of time.
HOPE THIS HELPS

"SUCK IT AND SEE HERMAN"

skysoarer
3rd Nov 2001, 03:15
Gliding does not stop for the winter! Have you heard of Wave or Ridge soaring; both are much easier to achieve when you have a tug to get you near the lift! Its really quite good fun trying to shear sheep with your wingtips!

At Talgarth I was informed that I'd need 65hrs PIC and gliding experience. I'd also like to do glider towing with a PPL, I already fly gliders and want to achieve a PPL sometime soon.

Regards; and Good luck!

Sky