PDA

View Full Version : Basair and Flying in Oz

SEAGULL09
29th Oct 2001, 21:42
Does anyone know much about Basair in Sydney? I am looking to go out there for some training and would be interested in any information on the school from people who have used them. Also details of the flying in Oz would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

WGW
30th Oct 2001, 00:00
E-mail me. Just got back from a tour round Oz. PPL with 70 hours when I went, PPL with 130 hours now. Australia is very different from the UK. Expect a fair bit of training before you take off on your own (no pun intended). Bankstown entry/exit lanes are tricky for a start, and there are all sorts of other lovelies to worry about - MBZ's, CTAF's, etc, and dare I say, ATC is a lot less forgiving than here.

WGW

redsnail
30th Oct 2001, 01:21
G'day, I actually haven't flown in the UK yet so I can't really compare the flying. The Sydney ATC and Richmond ATC tend to have a dim view of people breaching the BK LOE. However, if you ask for help they will oblige happily. The rest of the country isn't as stressful and the ATC is more then happy to give you a hand if required.
Basair aren't the only school on BK. I haven't heard much about them, so that may be a good thing.
Skills to think about in Oz. If you are venturing away from the coast and going inland get your visual navigation skills up to speed. Don't rely on the GPS. Also, there aren't many navaids out there + no radar. Personally, I like that.. but I am used to it :D
Have fun, you'll enjoy it :D

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: redsnail ]

laurie
30th Oct 2001, 02:35
do a search in downunder/godzone with 'Camden' as the string -

Camden is another aerodrome in Sydney which is less busy then Bankstown, and is great to fly out of. Nice people too.

Regards,
Laurie.

Longhauler
30th Oct 2001, 07:07
If you go to Oz, just remember that there is much more to the country than just the eastern seaboard. Indeed if you want any serious twin flying, you will need to head far away from the east coast!

bigjarv
30th Oct 2001, 18:10
I have researched the whole Australian option very throughly. I to intend to go back to Aus some time next year to finish my CPL. E-mail me if you need any help. [email protected]

Bankstown is not necessarily the best place to study. E-mail me and I will explain!!!

;)

On Track
31st Oct 2001, 13:58
Seagull,

I am a CPL in Sydney. Haven't had anything to do with Basair though once knew a pilot who was training with them and he seemed to be happy with the organisation.

If you want to email me with details of your experience, the type of aircraft you are after and the type of flying you want to pursue in Oz, I may be able to make suggestions or answer any questions you have.

Cheers :)

A and C
31st Oct 2001, 23:27
Two years back i rented an aircraft from basair to tour the east coast and i found that they did all that they could to help me in a very professional way.

The validation to a british licence requires a bi-annual flight reveiw and a small fee to the local CAA ,they helped me with the paperwork and the flight test was more of a local rules "teach in" but they do work to high standards like all of the outfits that i have met in australia.

I did have one small snag in that the aircraft that i had wanted to rent a bonanza was on maintenance so they substituted a TB20 but i fount this to be no problem.

All things considered i would recomend basair as a place that maintains a good standard of business ethics and flight saftey.