PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair "approved" FTOs

AJ
30th Apr 2003, 21:01
G'day all

Have had a quick look at the relevant threads concerning this area through the search facility, but felt I needed some clarification.

Here's my situation;

Due to graduate with degree in June.

Want to fly planes (please, I'm not trying to be cheesy)

Have been in UAS, taken a few other lessons etc. etc.

Will give the Easy/TC sponsorship a shot.

Realistically, chances are very slim.

Back up is to of course undertake pro training at a suitable FTO.

I know the costs & risks involved.

Now, have been perusing the various airline websites. Ryanair *appear* (if their, and the FTO's website is to be believed) to be sourcing pilots from these "approved" FTOs. What I'm not clear on, is who exactly this (costly) route is open to. Ryanair have recommended it as the option for non-type-rated, non JAR25 experienced folk.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not clear on what "JAR25 experience" is, and what not having it means.

Basically, is it possible to ab-initio with a Ryanair approved school? i.e. successfully complete preliminary assessments to verify suitability for ab-intio course, be recommended to apply, and then they offering you a job subject to your successful completion of the ab. course (with type-rating)

It's not very clear to me, and I would greatly appreciate any clarification (apart from, it's terribly expensive, which I know well - the ab-initio alone costs nearly £70k...)

I've emailed them in any case, just thought it might be good to get some views from pprune.

Cheers!

Chuffer Chadley
30th Apr 2003, 21:23
AJ

What you describe (selection, then training with a job at the end) sounds a bit like a sponsorship! And to the very best of my knowledge, Ryanair are not running anything along those lines at the moment.

There are a few schools that will tell you that particular airlines recruit from them, whether or not you put any faith in these assertions is up to you!

Best thing is to try the CTC scheme, if that doesn't work then chose your FTOs carefully. Be mindful that whatever Ryanair et al want today will be drastically different in two months time!

Ciao
CC

AJ
1st May 2003, 20:03
Thanks.

They will apparently send some information in the post. If anything interesting arises I'll post it here. I am half-thinking of doing a 1-year postgrad MA in London (partly due to academic interest, partly because the market continues to be so soft).

Henry Ford once said of history "it's one damn thing after the other". That holds so true for the airline industry at the moment....:(

jmc-man
2nd May 2003, 07:44
The Ryanair scheme involves going through a selection procedure (for which you pay). Then, if deemed suitable, you will be offered a job provided you pay for your own type rating in one of their "approved" training organisations.

Just a word of caution. The price you will pay for your conversion course will be higher than available in the marketplace. This is due the "approved" FTO's being required to pay Ryanair a "fee" per candidate as a contribution towards something or other.

But I suppose if there's a job at the end, then maybe the price is worth it.

My names Turkish
2nd May 2003, 10:55
Just a word of caution. The price you will pay for your conversion course will be higher than available in the marketplace. This is due the "approved" FTO's being required to pay Ryanair a "fee" per candidate as a contribution towards something or other

I think your right on that one my friend. I had wondered why there was such a discrepency in the price I had seen advertised from other organizations and the price I was told charged by Ryanair. Seems to be about 10K Euro in the difference.

I like Ryanair. I like the way they have made air travel open to everyone. I like that they gave low timers a chance. I understood the need to savagely cut costs, and hence the need to charge pilots for Type ratings,line training, interview fees and stop them running away by bonding them, which involves handing over 25K Euro(not just signing a contract). On a even lower level their sucess made me feel some national pride. When they got bashed by people on PPRuNe I put it down to sour grapes.

If it emerges that they are skimming or middling off there OWN EMPLOYEES!, I find that to be really disgusting and feel very let down and even I can see absolutly no justification for it.Or am I just very naive?

Jmc man, you say it might be worth it if there is a job a the end of it. I've spent 60K Euro so far, to get a job with Ryanair I will have to come up with 45K Euro(Bond for line training and type rating), bringing my costs up to 105K Euro. That is an incredible amount of money. Can it really be worth it?

Aviation Trainer too
2nd May 2003, 17:08
The only way the RYR system is different is that you pay the rating in advance. The other option would be that they would have paid the money and you would have a bond (=loan) of 45K or more.

The reason that RYR choose the first is simple: less hassle and less administration, nothing more and nothing less.. completely in line with their way of doing business: no hassle and as cheap as possible. Once your in you get a more than average salary and fly shiney new aircraft..

My names Turkish
2nd May 2003, 20:15
Aviation Trainer, Yes yes yes. I understand the reason for charging for the type rating. One of the few who does. If you read my post more carefully the part I cannot digest is that they have obviously gone around to all these FTOs offered to put through at least 120 Pilots this year (That I know of I am sure there are more) negotiated a substantially lower price for themselves and charge their own employees a profit for being the middle man! If anything they could have passed on the discount, it is the very least they could do.

FatFlyer
4th May 2003, 13:27
The other point you asked, JAR25 (orFAR25) time is that on aircraft over 5700kg i.e multi-crew turboprop or jet, 500 hours of which you need to get a full ATPL.
Is the higher cost of the Ryanair scheme not only because of the "course development fee" they charge the TRTO but also includes the charge for line training?

African Drunk
6th May 2003, 20:25
Was told you have a six month trial period when you don't get paid. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Aviation Trainer too
12th May 2003, 20:04
If you sent an e-mail to [email protected] you will receive all the following information on the type rating:

If invited for selection: € 350 for selection on B200 sim, NASS trainer, presentation and interview

If experienced: € 525 and assesment by TRI on B737 full flight simulator

Training € 23500 + € 1600 for Jar ops all excluding VAT

bond while line training for max 6 months of € 16500

and also the GBP 50 internet signup as well at the end...

They also sent all the info on how to sign up.