PDA

View Full Version : Galvin Flying Services, Boeing Field, Seattle

Tsauna
29th Apr 2003, 21:44
It looks like I will be temporarily relocating to Seattle in the near future. Hopefully I will have completed my JAA PPL by the time I move (currently 36 hrs in) and am looking to continue training beyond that. As it looks like I will be in the US for at least 2 years, this will have to be under FAA rules - hopefully up to MEII. I was recently in Seattle and came across Galvin Flying Services (GFS) based at Boeing Field, who, on the face of it, look to be the best option. Before I take the plunge has anyone heard of GFS; know of their reputation or have actually trained with them. If so I would love to hear what you heard; experienced and thought. Thanks in advance.

SKYYACHT
29th Apr 2003, 22:33
I rented a Cessna 152 from Galvin at Seattle. They were a little expensive, but the guy who did my check out was friendly, and professional. The check out included flying the Seatac transition, and then North over endless forested areas. As I was on a course at Boeing, I then planned to fly into all of the Boeing fields, including Renton, Everett Snohomish, Tacoma, and others that memory obscures. I would recommend them, but I did fly there four years ago, and things could change......

Best of luck,

Blueskies

MEI
30th Apr 2003, 04:37
I instructed in Seattle for 2 years so have a bit of insight on it. Galvin has a great reputation, aircraft, and facilities. Boeing Field is an exciting place to fly out of but you will pay for it. On the average probably 15 -20 % higher in prices although they are lovely. There are many other schools in Seattle area, if you know where you will be staying I may be able to give you a few of the closer ones to your location. email me

Oh ya almost forgot, there is no MEII, your either an instrument instructor or not, so lucky for you get your instrument instructor in a single and it transfer to the multi. The instrument part of instructing is just a rating, not a certificate.

Tsauna
1st May 2003, 19:57
Thanks Skyyatcht & MEI appreciate the help and advice.

Happy Landings

seatrumpeter
9th May 2003, 11:08
Hi there,
I did all my ratings at Galvins and then instructed there for three years. I was recently hired by Skywest, a United Express carrier. I think what others have said is true - Galvin's is a class organization - absolutely no rip off here - but you will pay for it as they are about the most expensive school in the area. That said, make sure you compare apples with apples as it's hard to beat Galvin's fleet of all new Cessna's and Seminoles.

Boeing Field (there is only one, whatever others might say) is a great airport - extremely busy with a mix from 747's on down to 152's. If you get comfortable flying in and out of there, busy airports will never phase you.

Good luck - if you have any specific questions about Galvin's, drop me a line [email protected]

Ray