PDA

View Full Version : Standardisation Training CABAIR. What do you know??

trucky04
29th Apr 2003, 05:43
I would like to instruct at CPL level. I'm a JAA CPL/IR QFI with over 1000 hours instruction. Cabair say that i need to gain my IMC and ME Instructor Ratings before they can consider me for a position. QUESTION. Does everyone at CABAIR taken in from the 'outside' have to do both these ratings? Also, what did you do in your 'Standardisation Training' and how much deeper into the money pit did you dig?

BEagle
29th Apr 2003, 15:05
As you state that you're a 'QFI', presumably you have a current military IR? If so, you can apply to the CAA for an IMC rating with little further formality, but you will still need to pay the issue fee.

Or did you actually mean that you're a civil FI(A)? If so, do you hold a UK CPL or a JAR-FCL CPL? The UK licence incorporates 'automatic' IMC and Night, the JAR-FCL CPL does not.

Are you sure that Cabair didn't actually mean that you had to have the 'no applied instrument' restriction taken off your FI(A) rating? If so, you'll have to do the training and test as specified in LASORS H1.4. If you have a JAR-FCL CPL and haven't yet got an IMC rating, you'll have to do that first (up to 5 hours training - as you'll already have 10 hours IF from your CPL course - plus a 1.5 hour test, there'll be both the Examiner's fee and CAA issue fee to pay for in addition...) When you've obtained your IMC rating, you'll then have to complete at least 5 hours dual IF training and 35 hours theoretical training all of which must be with an FIC instructor qualified to conduct instrument training at an approved FIC FTO, followed by the relevant elements of a FI Skill Test in a single pilot SEP aeroplane with a suitably qualified FIE(A).

To add MEP privileges to your FI(A) rating, first you need to hold a MEP Class Rating. (Or ME Type Rating). If you haven't already got one, that'll mean not less than 6 hours flight training plus 7 hours theoretical ground training, a theoretical knoledge examination and a Licensing Skill Test, all to be completed at an approved ME FTO. Plus the Examiner's fee and CAA issue fee, of course. Then, having obtained your MEP Class Rating, you'll have to build up at least 30 hours P1C on the applicable type or class of aeroplane, 10 of which has to be in the year before the date of application. Then at least 5 hours of flight training in a MEP aeroplane, plus 25 hours of theoretical training, all to be conducted by a FiC instructor approved to instruct in the aeropalne at an approved FTO - plus the relevant elements of a FI Skill Test with a suitably qualified FIE(A). Plus the Examiner's fee and CAA issue fee......

Sorry to sound so gloomy, but if you only hold a JAR-FCL CPL(A) with ATPL theoretical knowledge credit ("fATPL"), don't forget that you must complete your IR(A), not just IMC Rating, within 36 months of passing the ATPL(A) exams or ther credit will be lost. (See LASORS D1.3).....

I guess you're going to need a water-cooled credit card!

trucky04
30th Apr 2003, 00:56
OK so the twin training side of things looks unlikely due to the fact ive got a measly 4 hours P1. So how do people get twin hours up when working for people like CABAIR? Just what can i do in the CPL syllabus with my ratings and is the IMC Instructor Rating essential?? Can anyone tell me about their Standardisation Training and what it involved? All replies and advice much appreciated.

StrateandLevel
30th Apr 2003, 01:27
With the CPL/IR and a FI(A) rating you can teach all parts of the CPL course including the IF as you do not need to remove the applied instrument limitation for CPL instruction. As most of the CPL course is on S/E aeroplanes that should give you plenty of scope.

Standardisation training is in-house training to ensure that you teach in a standard way and may involve classroom and flying training but probably not more than 5 hours flying.

If you subsequently want to go on to teach applied IF for the IR then you will need to remove the no applied IF limitation. In fact it would be a good idea to do this anyway.

Getting the qualifying hours for the ME instructor course can be more difficult.

Barney Stubble
1st May 2003, 21:08
trucky,

Having worked for Cabair I may shed some light on your Q's...

Multi-time - if teaching CPL you will be at Cranfield therefore there will be ferry flights to Elstree on a weekly basis, usually Fri and Sun eves. Reason is hirers at Elstree need twins for the w/end, and maintenance is also done there. So volunteer for these.

IMC training - there is none done at CCAT, only full IR's, so why bother with the rating? Incidentally to teach IR you need something like 800 hrs IF time plus a course and test, I'm sure BEagle can provide the legal requirements.

Direct entry instructors in the past have completed a 5 (flying) hour standardisation course, which is a bond rather than cash up front. This course includes ground briefing and air exercises. There has been no requirement for the instrument restriction to be lifted from their FI (A) licence, nor multi instructor ticket. However times are tough in the jobs market and Cabair may have upped the ante in these regards.

Hope this is some use.

Barney:cool:

trucky04
3rd May 2003, 08:13
THANKS BARNEY, but what did you actually DO as part of the 'standardisation training?' In fact, is there anyone who can tell me how i get into commercial instruction, min requirements and what they actually did? Am i to assume a IMC Instructors Rating would be pointless other than to teach it specifically? Can a wannabee CPL ME Instructor build up their twin hours in the 'whenever', 'if ever , if your lucky type school? Did the CABAIR people get their 'freebee' twin time?' I know some of the CPL course is SE type flying with no 'IMC ratings necessary; so IS there still hope of me getting that all important foot through the door?

Barney Stubble
5th May 2003, 00:05
Trucky,

1. Standardisation course is entirely dependant on who you do it with - but would inlcude teaching general handling eg stalling, ccts etc, plus navigation. Like a mini FIC.

2. Min requirement for commercial instruction is like any other aviation job - the guy with the most experience usually gets hired, some with little experience get lucky. The only legal min is FI (R) rating, but then you can only teach up to SE VFR part of CPL or integrated course.

3. IMC instructor ticket is only good for exactly that, not CPL or IR training. Useful if teaching PPL's however.

4. Yes Cabair instructors get free ME time on ferry flights. But these are at anti-social times and usually involve a long taxi ride home.

You've got nothing to lose by applying - so good luck!

Barney:cool: