PDA

View Full Version : NCL Frequencies

Jacksman
29th Apr 2003, 05:02
Any of the NCL Controllers?

Guys..great service as usual but can you explain why the additional use of freq 118.5 Mhz even when 124.37 is 'quiet' ?

We appreciate traffic loading problems and channel spacing etc but unfortunately 118.5 is also an LHR frequency and we often get your calls blocked by aircraft talking to Heathrow at the same time. Typically we will be at FL150 or thereabouts and our transmissions interfere with those guys too..!

(Its not that long since EDI's ATIS was changed to 123.9Mhz - also used for LHR's ATIS !! Fortunately common sense prevailed with the CAA and it is now on 131.35Mhz)

ASR's have are being submitted to Company at Exeter but your help and explanation would help too.

Many thanks

Mister Geezer
29th Apr 2003, 19:46
I would like to throw in a question on a topic which is very similar to the situation above. I recently experienced some overlapping on one frequency. I was talking on a A/G frequency in Scotland however I was listening to traffic going into or out of East Mids. One PPL thought that the commercial traffic (which was a few hundred miles away) was trying to contact the A/G frequency.

I am an instructor for a small FTO and I was wondering if there is a CAA form that I can fill in to bring this to the attention of ATC or how do I go about telling the relevant people.

Thanks for any hints or advice

Cheers

Go-arounder
29th Apr 2003, 22:03
Jacksman

118.5Mhz is being used during the day for all P18 inbound traffic and as director for other inbounds. This is due to the extra co-ordination and vectoring needed with P18 i.e. some aircraft accepting RAS and some unable to and having to be kept within P18 and our original CTR/A, which was never designed for this! (Airspace being requested to meet P18, you’re support always welcome!)
118.5Mhz is CAA protected to 42.5nm and FL245, we been having problems when Manchester put aircraft over outside these limits. This is being addressed with Manch and should be getting better. Also the Newcastle radar position 124.37Mhz can get very busy very quickly, military & transits etc.

By the way we are also working on the release point of P18 traffic, currently abeam TILNI level or descending FL140.

Mister Geezer

Advise the ATSU you’re with, they probably cannot hear the interference like in the above case.

On a similar note can aircraft stop calling Wick outside the normal range of there tower frequency 119.7Mhz as it is also Newcastle tower freq! This way round we do hear you and note each call, mind you been doing this for years – doesn’t change anything!

:D

Jacksman
29th Apr 2003, 22:46
Go-arounder

That explains a good deal regarding the revised airspace and associated snags..late descents from FL140...R/T overlaps etc..

I do appreciate how the operational changes affect your unit and it seems that the planners need to listen to YOU guys at the 'coal-face' too, especially now that the changes are actually in use.
We'll do what we can at our end..and I know from friends in Go/Easyjet that they have had similar queries too.

Appreciate your answers and all the daily help of you and your colleagues..

Cheers

Jacksman:ok:

Mister Geezer
30th Apr 2003, 00:06
Cheers... I will pass on the details.

qwerty2
30th Apr 2003, 17:37
118.5Mhz is CAA protected to 42.5nm and FL245
118.5 is a strange choice of frequency given the proximity of Heathrow but this is quite a National Problem.
Traffic is NOT transferred by Manchester to Newcastle outside accepted guidelines and we are aware that the current protection levels are problematic.
EG Manchester Approach and Duseldorf on 119.4 ; hence the recent change!

As for descent profiles being less than perfect ; welcome to the real world.
You are not alone in the sky and in this case descent from 140 after Tilni is to permit Teeside Traffic traffic get into Controlled Airspace as quickly as possible.
I believe NV's traffic's requirement to clear the Leeming Area and gain the protection of Controlled Airspace is greater than your need to descend into Newcastle.
It's all a question of balances and compromises and a new experience for our friends in the North.

Go-arounder
1st May 2003, 03:36
Qwerty2
You’re right the frequency problem is a national thing, however now the problem has been found then a hand over inside the protected area from Manchester is the quick fix!
As for the FL140 release, we hope to have released on contact subject to co-ordination with Teesside. As for getting out of Leeming way I believe Teesside and Leeming have a good working arrangement and Teesside don’t really have many P18 joiners.

As For

“It's all a question of balances and compromises and a new experience for our friends in the North.”

You’ll find we had years of compromise with the amount of civil V military traffic around here. We’ve had the movement statistics for an airway for over ten years, that’s Newcastle alone!!

mainecoon
1st May 2003, 07:01
go

not having a pop here but rfd comes from manch north upper not egnv

but must say sorry for traffic chucked outside 40nm happens too often

there were however in the bad old days when certain of your guys and gals would accept that plus traffic above fl100 from the mil
not a prob for me then but steep learning curve now for the non penile crowd working the sector in these new times

long time in coming as it was i still miss the work with yourselves and tees and one day i will sus out the freq for inbounds myself

ps pass my regrds to steve warren he will know who i am
cheers:ok:

Jacksman
25th May 2006, 21:54
Well it's taken over three years but at last common sense has prevailed!

ASR's have been registered and 'umpteen' complaints endured by NCL ATC and pilots alike, but southwesterly inbounds now work 125.825MHz in isolation without interrupting or interruption from LHR TWR on 118.50.

You just wonder why 118.375 couldn't have been used as I believe the nearest significant use of that frequency is Brest ATIS! (Transmitter problem maybe ?)

Anyway it does make life a bit easier and safer when inbound to "Woolsington":ok:

threemiles
29th May 2006, 08:56
The rule is - never give up a frequency that was successfully reserved - especially one that is protected 120NM at FLL330 -whether you need it or not, future will tell

http://i4.tinypic.com/110hdme.jpg

I doubt 125.82 is a long term solution looking at CDG up to FL250

http://i4.tinypic.com/110hdup.jpg

Greenknighter
29th May 2006, 10:30
GO-Arounder
Whilst having some sympathy with your point of view can I just point out that if I ever heard an Area trainee say 'Released on contact' I would rip his arm off and beat him to death with the soggy end?
Perhaps this should be a new thread? The most dangerous phrase in ATC?

SixDelta
29th May 2006, 10:30
Not sure there's a whole lot that can done about this. Even with 8.33 channelisation there simply aren't enough frequencies to give every unit it's own unique ones. VHF ducting has always been issue under large areas of high atmospheric pressure, quite regualrly hear guys working Schipol while working Edinburgh myself.

AERO_STUDENT
30th May 2006, 17:59
118.375......Ciampino (IT) ATIS.....

....Now that's having a laugh!

"A/c at 2 miles, Bonjoorno. Kooennaych 1020, Cahvuk, Sofees Wind Cam. Clear to Land....."