PDA

View Full Version : Degree and BAE training - Is it worth it in the long run?

29th Oct 2001, 04:06
Hello everybody!

My latest question to you all is - In Europe is a degree in aviation a big plus when it comes to obtaining employment? I hear that in the States that a degree of some sort is amongst the minimum criteria. I suppose more specifically - is it better to spend the 3 years working and gaining hours or getting the tick in the box?

And also - What sort of weighting does an Academy like BAE systems have in Europe? Is this academy as good as it gets? Does it make any difference at the end of the day? Or is it a case of "it doesn't matter where you train as long as you have the hours..".

I hope somebody can help me with these questions. :)

The African Dude
29th Oct 2001, 14:48
Hey there.

Well..... I'd guess that studying a degree such as engineering etc. would not only indicate to prospective employers that you've got a reasonable talent for solid academic study but also that you've probably got a much sounder knowledge of your aircraft systems over and above the ATPL exams.

Also should something irritating happen (i.e. legs fall off) you have an excellent backup career if you really can't go on with flying.

I can't see any way how airlines can take your degree as something to negatively affect your application!

Good luck mate :)

Andy

mintfavour
29th Oct 2001, 18:00
I got my self an HND in Aerospace Eng and a Degree in Mechanical.

The good thing to know is that I will always have something to fall back on.

You should also take into consideration that once you have a degree hopefully you will fall into a higher paid first job, which is good to help with training costs, but on the other hand you will be three years older before you start training.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that you could have a PHd, but the airlines still dont except you, because of the aptitude tests that you still have to pass, or the fact that your personality questionair didnt workout right.

I know of BA cadets failing and quiting during their training, which I feel proves that aptitude tests arent that brilliant for selection.

Also I dont know how much age matters when self sponsoring, I know that most max. age for sponsorships tend to be about 28.

Im 26 Got a full time job/career and plan to continue training in my spare time until I eventually get there, Its a bit long winded and frustrating, but it is a safe method for me especially in todays climate.

good luck

VFE
29th Oct 2001, 21:49
Hi 123.40,

I am currently on an ab-initio course with BAE and can say that as far as the training for the JAR groundschool goes (widely excepted as the toughest part) a degree will pretty much only be usefull in the sense that youŽll know how to study and will be used to the task of absorbing data. I know of guys here with aero-engineering type degrees and they find subjects such as Principles Of Flight just as hard as those with no degree or even A-Levels for that matter.
It all comes down to how hard you are willing to work and of course your general ability for grasping concepts reletively quickly, although some do struggle in a short time span but pull through with a little midnight oil burning! Hard work is the key......most of the time.

As for employement, who knows these days! The way I see it is that if you have the licence and can jump through the hoops of the interviews then you are there. Make the most of your background prior to training when you get an interview.
Coming out of an approved integerated school youŽll have the best chance going.

Sounds like you are going to self sponsor whatever so my advice would be to get out here now!

All the best,

VFE.

scroggs
30th Oct 2001, 01:04
There are effectively two parts to the degree question: a) is it worth getting one and b) will it help you when you approach airlines for employment.

The answer to a) is indubitably yes. In the turbulent profession that is flying, whatever qualifications you can get that will help you earn a decent living outside aviation is worth having.

The answer to b) is less clear-cut. Most UK airlines are not particularly interested in your academic qualifications over and above 5 good GCSEs, including English and Maths. You may argue that anything that raises you above the herd is worthwhile, but I would counter that hours and experience are worth more to your potential employer.

What you must ensure is that your spoken and written English is to a high standard, and that you are comfortable with maths. If you have just completed an ATPL course, you have quite adequately demonstrated your ability to study! If you feel that a degree would make you more confident, and thus give you an edge, go for it. Also, go for it if you feel you would enjoy it; there are many, many pilots with degrees that are abolutely no use employment-wise, but gave them a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction to achieve.

As for the 'saleability' of any one school on your CV over any other, I'm not convinced. Your qualification is administered and issued by the CAA on the JAA's behalf, and your possesion of it is the main point for your future employer.

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: Scroggs ]

goat1500
30th Oct 2001, 13:14
Having a degree immediatley shows your commitment towards something along with academic ability. Employers obviously like this. Degrees are starting to be looked at as the norm when applying for many jobs and will help you progress further down the line in a few years time.
Go for it, and try and make it maths/physics related if possible.